How To Figure Cake Size?

Decorating By Mae_mom Updated 1 May 2012 , 8:16pm by KoryAK

Mae_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mae_mom Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 6

I'm needing to do a cake in the shape of a six and a zero (for a big 60) for a serving size of fifty people. How on Earth do I figure up how large to make each letter? I use Earlene's cake chart for everything else, but this is a new one for me. icon_smile.gif

Thanks so much!

5 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 6

Although it is cupcakes, this worked very well for a 90th birthday:

http://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/319

You could make 30 extra cupcakes and arrive at 50 servings.

Mae_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mae_mom Posted 1 May 2012 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you so much for that!! That is a great idea!! However, they have a specific cake they sent a picture of that they want it to look like. :/ I just don't know how big to make it! :p

I love your idea though!!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 1 May 2012 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 6

There is a template on this website on how to cut out numbers from a sheet cake size pan. That might give you an idea as to how many servings you'll get. If it's not enough you could always just make an additional cake and only ice it (not decorated) just for serving the rest of the guests. OR put the number cake on top of a sheet cake.
Just some ideas...

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 1 May 2012 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 6

Mae_mom~~Is it possible to attach a photo of the cake picture they sent you?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 1 May 2012 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 6

Well, I would start with ovals for the 6 and the 0. The 0 you don't have to carve at all and the 6 will be losing, what, 20% of the cake? Does Earlene's chart have ovals on it? I can't give you the exact numbers because I don't use her chart. But my chart (12 cubic inch servings) says the largest oval in the wilton set (13x16"ish) x 3" deep will give you 42 servings for each cake before carving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%