Help With Buttercream With Adding Espresso

Baking By mmhassa2 Updated 28 Apr 2012 , 7:19pm by dawnybird

mmhassa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmhassa2 Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 4

So I'm thinking of changing the liquid amounts of this recipe of this recipe to add brwed espresso from the Tassimo. Can anyone help with the quantity I should use to get it to taste alot like coffee?

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/buttercream

Ingredients
1 stick sweet butter
1 cup of Crisco
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 lb of confectionary sugar
1/3 cup of milk (more or less depending on personal taste)

Also family has a kitchenaid mixer but only has this attachment, would this work for mixing the frosting together?
Or would a regular hand mixer work? How long to mix for? Never made homemade buttercream frosting so any advice is appreciated.[img][/img]

3 replies
cakewhiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Posted 27 Apr 2012 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 4

I am not a coffee drinker, so I do not know what "expresso from the Tassimo" means. However, if I wanted to flavor my buttercream icing with a coffee flavor, I would put 1 TAB of instant coffee crystals and 2 TABs of water in a small glass cup and microwave it for about 15 seconds until the coffee crystals have melted into the water. Let this solution cool before adding it to your buttercream. I would mix your recipe as follows: Put your powdered sugar into your mixing bowl, add your vanilla and milk and the cooled coffee flavoring. Mix this until it is creamy and smooth. Then add your butter and crisco and whip at high speed for about 5 minutes or so until it is creamy and smooth. You will need a paddle attachment to your kitchenaid mixer to do this. The photo that you supplied is a dough hook for making bread and WILL NOT work if you want to make buttercream icing.

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 4

Having a kitchenaid with only one hook (and-a-dough-hook-at-that-what-kind-of-caker-are-you?) is kinda like brakingthe eleventh commandment. (Really,kind-of-caker-are-you?) So the first thing you need to do is put some strong coffee to brew. Then, go get you some paddles. I'd use the whisk attachment for buttercream making. While you out, (or online) get some coffee essence (flavoring to you) and when you get to the point of making it swap out the milk for the corffee. And use the coffee flavor?

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 4

First of all, I make buttercream all the time with just a hand mixer. What I would do is what you suggested - swap the milk and put in the equivalent amount of liquid espresso (or regular coffee, brewed very strong). If you can find coffee extract or flavoring in time, you could add 1/2 tsp. of that too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%