Why Can't I Bake A 13 X 9 Without Sinking?

Baking By katie11 Updated 25 Apr 2012 , 11:16pm by katie11

katie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie11 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 2:53am
post #1 of 7

I have made three, count them three, 13 x 9 strawberry cakes today and all three sunk in the middle. I used a flower nail on the second one, and reduced from 4 to 3 eggs on the third, but none of these fixes worked. The recipe is Cake Mix Doctor, strawberry. Oh ... I guess I should mention that I did account for the change in the Duncan Hines box mix size by adding 1.2 additional ounces of cake mix to the batter, and I always bring my ingredients to room temp.

I am ready to abandon my recipe and start again. Does anyone have any suggestions for a great recipe that bakes well in a 13 x 9? I would have posted this in the recipe section, but I am also obviously in need of help in baking the 13 x 9 size.

Thanks!

Katie

6 replies
dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 3:02am
post #2 of 7

What temp did you use to bake? I've found that baking at 325, just keep in mind it will take longer, works well for all pans sizes.

cakefixation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefixation Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 5:12am
post #3 of 7

Have you tried using a heating core? They sell them at the craft store. I always use one for large cakes. Good luck with your cake.

katie11 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 11:00am
post #4 of 7

I always bake at 325. I haven't tried the core, but I might today because I guess the nail wasn't enough. I am thinking of just going back to the old standard WASC ... that one never fails!
Thanks for your help!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 11:05am
post #5 of 7

Your oven my be out of calibration. On smaller cakes, cookies, and cupcakes, a little off-temp may be ok, but the bigger the cake and longer time, the more just a little change can wreak havoc. Get an oven thermometer and check.

I'm not familiar with doctored recipes, but if you are adding fresh or frozen strawberries, are you adding too much liquid? If so, try draining them in a collander with paper towels after they are cut.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 11:24am
post #6 of 7

I used nails once and thought it was just silliness. Turn the oven temp down and plan on a longer time.

Also, check your oven for holding the correct temp as the PP said. My new oven runs about 4 degrees cool and that really does make a difference.

I have no experience with mixes or doctored mixes.

katie11 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the suggestions. Tonight I am going to have success ... I have the oven pre-heating with my oven thermometer in, ready for calibration if needed; I bought a new pan (my old 13 x 9 is an air bake variety that has probably been used for non-cake items one too many times); and I am skipping the strawberry fiasco and have switched recipes for my old standby WASC. I was going to use the nail, but I think I will skip that step. FIngers crossed, prayers said ... I'll keep you posted!

Katie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%