Help With Setting Up Cake Table

Decorating By cakemagic Updated 15 Jun 2012 , 2:56am by cakemagic

cakemagic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemagic Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 20

Our library has different events each month and next month's program is "What I learned from library". it is gallery walk and there are few other people who will participate like a photographer and a florist. They asked me as a cake decorator. I don't have all the details but I will have a table to display cakes cookies and etc... I need some ideas on how to go about this. I have never done this before (I decorate as a hobby although I would love to have my own business)
The lady said I could sell my cakes but I am not sure since I don't have a cake shop and our state doesn't have a cottage food law.
I need help with what to display ( cakes, cake pops, cupcakes maybe) and how to display them. I would appreciate if you could suggest some ideas...like color scheme and what to use to display the cakes and cake pops....
thanks

19 replies
sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 20

I don't know about tables, but these are cute:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1832354/book-cupcakes

ETA: As far as your display: I would just be sure to have different levels to display on for the most attractive look.

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 20

I'm assuming this is just for display, and no specific theme...I personally would walk through my home and use items I already have for the display--a pillar candle holder is now a cupcake holder, a vase is a pedestal for a cake, a framed mirror is a cookie display, a favorite tablecloth is the base. Then I would pull colors from these items, choosing items I feel comfortable making.

cakemagic Posted 20 Apr 2012 , 2:10am
post #4 of 20

anyone else has ideas ? icon_biggrin.gif

cakemagic Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 20

icon_biggrin.gif

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 23 Apr 2012 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 20

What have you learned from the library? Do they have cake decorating books/DVDs? Could you use some of them for display with examples of what you learned from them - - flower making DVDs with samples of flowers you made? Cake pops with a book on cake pops?

sharonR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharonR Posted 24 Apr 2012 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 20

Hey Cakemagic I'm having the same issue right now so I was wondering how the event turned out and what kind of signs you made etc... Any info would be greatly appreciated icon_biggrin.gif Thank you!

cakemagic Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 1:02am
post #8 of 20

Sharon the event is next month...how about you? I will be doing some cakepops, cupcakes and a baby shower cake and another cake (don't know what yet!!) I am searching google for bridal table setting but haven't had much luck. maybe someone could help with the search?
for the cakepops I saw some clear glasses to display them. The cupcakes will go on white square plates That is all I have got for now!! more suggestion are really welcome icon_biggrin.gif

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 1:24am
post #9 of 20

I love Jgifford's idea. And did you check the link from Sweetideas? Of course I'm thinking Library: Books. Open , close, closed&stacked...

spotsmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spotsmom3 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 1:37am
post #10 of 20

Cakemagic,

Back in September I was asked to do a dessert table for a Las Vegas Promotional Party. I had no clue what to do so I did an assortment of cupcakes, pies (cut & plated), cake balls, mini pecan tarts, cookies and a sheet cake. I had some cupcakes stands that I used and 2 other tiered stands. It turned out ok for my first try but would do a few things different if give any opportunity. I have attached a photo of my table & maybe you can get some ideas actually seeing something. Hope this helps some.
LL

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 12:00pm
post #11 of 20

THe HD will be able to answer the sales question and most likely the answer will be no. You would also need a business license, perhaps multiple (city and state) if it is within the city limits, even for a one-time event. Then there is sales tax, a license and collection. It usually isn't as easy as it seems.

Even if you choose to give away products, HD's have laws. The may have specific labeling rules, such as ingredients, allergies, and that the product was baked in an uninspected kitchen.

sheilaaellis44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilaaellis44 Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 12:15pm
post #12 of 20

Steps For Cake Decorating:

Put the tablecloth on the table.Tape the edges underneath the tape.

Scatter flower petals and confetti on the table. Leave an area in the center clear for the cake.

Set up taped candles in candle holders on either side of the cake. These candles won't be lit.

On one side of the table, lay out the plates, forks and napkins. Arrange the napkins in a design. Layer small napkin stacks. Set up the plates and forks by the napkins.

Set the cake on the table. Lay the serving knife by the cake.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 25 Apr 2012 , 1:41pm
post #13 of 20

I love the idea of using library books, especially books from the library on cake decorating and baking. Make several stacks, then put the platters of your goodies on top. Since you don't and can't sell cakes, use some fun spring colors and just have fun with it.

cakemagic Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 5:45pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

THe HD will be able to answer the sales question and most likely the answer will be no. You would also need a business license, perhaps multiple (city and state) if it is within the city limits, even for a one-time event. Then there is sales tax, a license and collection. It usually isn't as easy as it seems.

Even if you choose to give away products, HD's have laws. The may have specific labeling rules, such as ingredients, allergies, and that the product was baked in an uninspected kitchen.

From what she told me it will be considered like a bake sale in the library. I was thinking about donating the money to the library. but I don't want to chance it. Could I still offer samples of cakes? or is that illegal too?

cakemagic Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 5:46pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilaaellis44

Steps For Cake Decorating:

Put the tablecloth on the table.Tape the edges underneath the tape.

Scatter flower petals and confetti on the table. Leave an area in the center clear for the cake.

Set up taped candles in candle holders on either side of the cake. These candles won't be lit.

On one side of the table, lay out the plates, forks and napkins. Arrange the napkins in a design. Layer small napkin stacks. Set up the plates and forks by the napkins.

Set the cake on the table. Lay the serving knife by the cake.

Thanks great ideas!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 28 Apr 2012 , 5:59pm
post #16 of 20

Have you checked out the website by Amy Atlas? She is an event planner and designs beautiful dessert tables. Here's a link to her portfolio:

http://www.amyatlas.com/index.php/main/portfolio/

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 11 Jun 2012 , 7:29pm
post #17 of 20

Cakemagic, how did it go?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 Jun 2012 , 9:04am
post #18 of 20

The local HD's are the only ones who can answer these questions. My guess is still no to the sales. Even in our hometown chili cook-off, they have to attend a food safety class, set up a table with the exact same criteria as sales booths, and must not sell.

Recently our city had a chocolate day. The vendor tables were free, but they had to show proof of HD and city licenses.

The librarian cannot allow you to sell or donate or sample if it is against local HD laws. She just may not know. One of the biggest "no's" to donations without licenses in our area is donating to the very young and the very old, as these two groups are highly succeptible to food illnesses. Without inspections and food safety classes, these two groups are off limits. The library location may fall under that with your HD.

Also, sampling implies that you sell without a license. If you do, you may not want to be so high profile. You could be turned in by anyone.

Another issue, if the library is public, it may fall under the same guidelines as public schools which usually only allow packaged food or only those products from a licensed facility.

I'm not trying to be the "cake police". I'm just giving information that you should consider, with all answers available with a call to your HD.

cakemagic Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 2:49am
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

The local HD's are the only ones who can answer these questions. My guess is still no to the sales. Even in our hometown chili cook-off, they have to attend a food safety class, set up a table with the exact same criteria as sales booths, and must not sell.

Recently our city had a chocolate day. The vendor tables were free, but they had to show proof of HD and city licenses.

The librarian cannot allow you to sell or donate or sample if it is against local HD laws. She just may not know. One of the biggest "no's" to donations without licenses in our area is donating to the very young and the very old, as these two groups are highly succeptible to food illnesses. Without inspections and food safety classes, these two groups are off limits. The library location may fall under that with your HD.

Also, sampling implies that you sell without a license. If you do, you may not want to be so high profile. You could be turned in by anyone.

Another issue, if the library is public, it may fall under the same guidelines as public schools which usually only allow packaged food or only those products from a licensed facility.

I'm not trying to be the "cake police". I'm just giving information that you should consider, with all answers available with a call to your HD.

Thanks for the info...it is good to know all the little things.

cakemagic Posted 15 Jun 2012 , 2:56am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetideas

Cakemagic, how did it go?

It was great! I had a nice table setup and everybody ahh and oohhhed over the cakes!! People really liked all the cakes and cupcakes and the flowers. .I am happy I did it although now my tendinitis is killing me!! my hand is wrapped and I can't do anything I have a lot of pain and swelling...all in the name of CAKE icon_biggrin.gif
I will post pictures soon. thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%