Wedding Cake - Making/transporting

Decorating By 3boys2anglz Updated 18 Apr 2012 , 4:00pm by 3boys2anglz

3boys2anglz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3boys2anglz Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 7

I am making this cake and would like any and all suggestions you have to make it easier and more successful.

I will use snowwhite buttercream because it will be transported 4 hours away to the bride's parents house for an outdoor wedding and I don't want to have to worry about refrigeration.

My biggest fears are mishaps during transport (cake cracking, icing sliding, etc.). I've never transported a cake this far and it is in a really rural area without anywhere to fix something catastrophic.

Bring on the suggestions, ladies!

6 replies
QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know what snowwhite buttercream is, I am assuming it is an all shortening frosting, but I would use SMBC and make sure it is in the fridge until nice and solid, before transporting. Or you could assemble it there and of course drive careful.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 7

Use SPS for stacking, and make sure you can lift it by yourself and get it in and out of your delivery vehicle easily, unless you have help for that.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 16 Apr 2012 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 7

If it will be warmer than 75degrees at the outdoor venue, use a shortening based frosting, unless the cake can be refrigerated until needed. I would transport unstacked and be sure the car is well air conditioned before you put the cake inside. Take tools, touch-up frosting, etc with you and assemble at the venue.
Good Luck!

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 7:49am
post #5 of 7

I transported a 12-10-8-6 square wedding cake this past weekend - I boxed each and transported as layers and stacked on sight. Only had to make minor touch up additions on sit up - transported about 30 miles, 10 of which was bumpy county roads. No problems - good luck!! I love that cake!

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 7:51am
post #6 of 7

I forgot - I use 1 cup butter - 1 cup Crisco - 2 lbs powered sugar buttercream - no problems in the Tx heat and humidity!

3boys2anglz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3boys2anglz Posted 18 Apr 2012 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much for the tips. Two more questions:

1. To torte or not? I'm a little worried about stability if I cut and torte the bottom square 14" layer. Any recommendations?

2. How do you get the corners and edges so crisp? I struggle with that more on square cakes than round and am interested in any tips you have.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%