Using Cricut To Cut Fondant On Parchment Paper

Decorating By meganmorgan Updated 13 Apr 2012 , 8:28pm by cupadeecakes

meganmorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meganmorgan Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 3

I was wondering if anyone has tried to cut fondant or gumpaste out on a piece of parchment paper. For instance covering mat with crisco. Then rolling the fondant out on parchment paper that is also covered in crisco and then placing it to the mat and cutting. So that when its cut you can pick up the piece of parment that has the fondant on it up easily and place on cake without having to refreeze or have issues with the design getting messed up. This kinda reminds me how the regular cricut cuts vinyl. Im just thinking I got a cake to make tonight and I was trying to think a better way to pick up my cuts.

2 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 3

If you use Linda McClure's method ther is no need for parchment paper. Straight fondant is is too soft and works much better if you add tylose. Check out her youtube videos. You can also use frosting sheets which is so much easier and faster. I prefer the premium sheets from icingimages.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 13 Apr 2012 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 3

I love my Cricut, but I'm not sure how that would work. IF the parchment was secured to the mat, I would think the blade would just cut through it too. I never cut regular fondant; I usually cut modeling chocolate, or one of the "fat-based" fondants (like Fondarific). Once cut, I pop te mat and all in the freezer for 5 minutes and then work with it.

Try it and let us know - worst case is you pick some parchment scraps out of your fondant and try again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%