Cake/cupcake Tier Ensemble Question

Decorating By rpd923 Updated 12 Apr 2012 , 8:39pm by rpd923

rpd923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpd923 Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 2:49am
post #1 of 8

I have a bride that wants a cake/cupcake tower that I've never seen before. Wondering if anyone has any pictures to share of the following example or knows how I can accomplish this setup for over 125 people:

Round cake on top
Cupcake tier
Cupcake tier
(possible additional cupcake tier if needed)
Bottom round cake

She wants a modern design for the two cakes, ruffled fondant on the bottom tier and a top tier that is a smooth finish 'wrapped' with raffia and a fantasy flower. She also wants mini pies to be placed on the table on platters & or cake pedestals.

I am so stumped on how to build this cake/cupcake tower as I've done lots of cakes but never with a cake on the bottom like this. Anyone have any pics to show me this will look nice or what products I need to build this tower? Am I overthinking this???

7 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 11 Apr 2012 , 6:24am
post #2 of 8

I wouldn't build it. There are many towers out there that have seven and more tiers, all with the ability to break down to any configuration. You could purchase the tower and just use the (example) 12, 10, 8 tiers for cupcakes and use the 6 inch for the top cake and a 14 inch cake on the bottom. I didn't do the math on the number of servings, but you get the idea. You would just need to support it as usual. Ebay has some well reviewed, sturdy, acrylic towers. Beware of the cheap ones. I've seen many complaints. Also one really cheap one that comes up in searches has an odd, 6 inch space between tiers, a little much for cupcakes or mini desserts.

rpd923 Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 2:37am
post #3 of 8

So, put the bottom cake on the bottom tier plate and put the tower support through the middle of it? I don't have extensive cake tower experience, I'm apparently overthinking this and that's all you do then?

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 2:44am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpd923

So, put the bottom cake on the bottom tier plate and put the tower support through the middle of it? I don't have extensive cake tower experience, I'm apparently overthinking this and that's all you do then?

Yup.

rpd923 Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 3:37am
post #5 of 8

Thank you. So, next question...does this setup actually look nice? I've never seen one :-/

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 4:29am
post #6 of 8
Jenise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenise Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 8

The first stand in the above post is the one that I have I think. I have used it ALOT for cupcake towers and have put cake at the top then cupcakes and several other variations, and it always comes out great. It is sturdy and simple to set up. The last couple of times I have added fresh flowers in between the cupcakes and that really dresses it up. You could also add ribbons, bows etc. HTH

rpd923 Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 8

Yeah, I've done that setup too but all the towers I have have a support post in the center that are big and I've NEVER seen anyone do it with a cake on the bottom tier like that with cupcakes on the upper tiers-it just seems so backwards, not to mention cutting a huge hole in the middle of the cake to put the support post in. But alas, there's a 1st for everything for me. I was just hoping to actually see an example done like this before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%