Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Cake

Decorating By puzzlegut Updated 12 Apr 2012 , 3:53pm by Marianna46

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 12:35am
post #1 of 6

I'm planning on making a cake that looks like a package of Reese's Peanut Butter cups and two cakes that look like peanut butter cups. Does anyone have any recipes for a scratch chocolate cake that I could substitute organic ingredients for? I'm also looking for a peanut butter filling recipe that would be similar to that of a peanut butter cup but obviously be able to fill easily. And while we're at it, a recipe for chocolate ganache. Would it be easy to cover a cake with fondant if it's been covered in ganache?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the cakes look like peanut butter cups with the ridges? Thanks icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 4:44am
post #2 of 6

The only thing I can help you with here is the chocolate ganache. For dark chocolate, use 2 parts chocolate (grated, chopped or in chips) to 1 part cream BY WEIGHT - for example, 1 lb. of chocolate for 8 oz. of cream. Melt the chocolate in the microwave in 20-second bursts. Heat the cream in a saucepan till it bubbles and pour it over the chocolate. Stir until completely blended. Store covered at room temp overnight (it will be runny at first but will take on the approximate consistency of peanut butter). For white chocolate, the ratio is 3 of chocolate to 1 of cream. For milk chocolate, some people use 2-to-1 and some people use 3-to-1.
As to it's being usable under fondant, I very seldom use anything else. It gives much sharper edges than buttercream and in the humid climate where I live, buttercream is just too "wet" to use with any success.
I love your cake idea, by the way - the combination of chocolate and peanut butter is one of my favorites.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 4:56am
post #3 of 6

i made a Reese's cake! in my album! The cup part was actually very easy. one later, PB cake (no filling) and all i did was take a square cutter and used the pointed part to cut out the small part of the cake i didn't need.

i think that any ganache recipe could be online...it all depends on what consistency you want it at

Marianna46 Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 6

Cool cake, step0nmi! And you're right about the ganache - I was just assuming she was looking for a spreadable one.

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 10:35am
post #5 of 6

How many recipes of ganache do you think I would need to make to cover a 12x18 cake and two 8x2" round cakes?

Marianna46 Posted 12 Apr 2012 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 6

I never know how to answer this question, but fortunately for all of us, awesome Austin cake decorator metria has an excellent calculator for this sort of thing. You can find it here:
http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/test/cakulator.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%