How To Get Help For Big Orders?

Business By lina20 Updated 9 Apr 2012 , 11:58am by rosech

lina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lina20 Posted 8 Apr 2012 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 4

Hello,
Please I just would like to know your experience how do you deal when you receive a lot of orders.
How do you get extra help ?
Pleae share your experience
Thank you icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

3 replies
Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 5:33am
post #2 of 4

I rarely book more than I can handle by myself. Better to turn away orders than to overbook and mess up someone's special cake - and to them - every cake is special. I do have a friend that I have taught to cake decorate and when I do need help I pay her to come help me. She will be here next week to help me with two big wedding cakes that have to be delivered in two states.

I also have another cake buddy that I could call on if I got ill or injured. It is always good to have back up!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 6:41am
post #3 of 4

I made a plan when I decided to take on more work.

I have an availability calendar on my site which will show if I'm booked or open so that I can control orders. I have help from my two daughters and my brother if needed. I have more than I personally can handle now that I have a retail cafe selling my cupcakes, a national account, and my regular work.

Be aware that if you hire outside family, you need to have workers comp on the person. Even if it isn't required by law, a person who gets hurt on a job can sue you. If it's business related, your homeowners will not pay. Even if you have your home kitchen designated as commercial, this will not cover personal injury. And don't think your best friend will not sue you if she's out of work from a slip and fall. She will have no choice.

If the person has their own business license and you can hire under the full IRS requirements for an independent contractor, then you do not have to have workers comp. The "owner" of the business that you hired will be responsible for her own workers comp. Just make sure you abide the rules to the letter of the law because this type of employment opens you up to the liklihood of an audit.

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 9 Apr 2012 , 11:58am
post #4 of 4

It's good to take what you can handle. Sometimes I take too much and my daughter helps. Right now I am not that well and she will bake and make bc. I will decorate. My only caker friends are here on CC and you are all so far away. Sigh!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%