Imbc Vs. Whipped Cream For A Cake With Strawberries

Decorating By Alwayzmakincake Updated 2 Apr 2012 , 4:31pm by Alwayzmakincake

Alwayzmakincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alwayzmakincake Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 5

My friend asked me to make her a yellow cake with icing that's not too sweet and she wants strawberries on top. Would you make the cake with whipped cream or IMBC?

Thanks!

4 replies
vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 5

Refrigeration and shelf stability. How long will the cake be out of the refrigerator? Whipped cream has a 4 hour limit at room temp (or temps within the temperature danger zone) then you must chuck it. IMBC has received mixed reviews in terms of shelf stability but overall the tendency is for it to be okay for a longer period at temps 72-78 degrees. What does your HD say?

Since you're using fresh fruit, your cake will need to be refrigerated either way. What you are left with is your personal preference since both options would be tasty.

The above is what I would consider, and more than likely would go with IMBC, less hassle.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 1:25am
post #3 of 5

Both are tasty, but I personally would prefer whipped cream with the fresh fruit. You can keep the whole thing in the fridge until time to serve if you have to and it will still be ready to eat, IMBC would need time to warm up again.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 5:31am
post #4 of 5

You can stabilize the whipped cream with sour cream, gelatin, or piping gel. It won't change the need for refrigeration, but it will keep it from breaking down.

Edit: IMBC turns the egg whites into a confection, making it stable outside of the refrigerator. The weakest link becomes the butter, which is also able to be left out of the refrigerator. So IMBC can be treated the way you would treat butter based on temps in the room.

Alwayzmakincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alwayzmakincake Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you for the tips. I think I've decided to go with the IMBC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%