Help Making This Cake!

Decorating By sleepy20520 Updated 28 Mar 2012 , 1:19am by sleepy20520

sleepy20520 Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone know how i would go about making this it gumpaste or fondant and how do i get that ridged edge look?


4 replies
shanter Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 10:36pm
post #2 of 5

It is fondant cut into strips. You can either cut straight edges and then clip and thin to make the uneven edge, or you can use something like a deckle edge tearing ruler (often used on paper) plus some thinning (with a ball tool, back of a spoon, etc.).

shanter Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 5

Me again. There are cheaper ones than the link I gave. Just google "deckle edge ruler" or "tear ruler" or "paper tearing ruler." I also found this one:

cakeyouverymuch Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 5

I used this tool:

To do the ruffles around the hearts on this cake:

If you cut strips of fondant that has been rolled very thin and use the tool to ruffle and thin one edge a bit, then apply the strip to the cake ruffled side up and continue to do the same in layers all the way to the bottom of the tier you should get the effect you are looking for.

sleepy20520 Posted 28 Mar 2012 , 1:19am
post #5 of 5

thanks for your help guys! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%