I've Learned My Lesson/ Sps Saved Me From A Full On Disaster

Decorating By lorieleann Updated 27 Mar 2012 , 10:45pm by leah_s

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 6

I will always chill a finished cake overnight when delivering over dirt roads.

Just writing that 100 times to make sure I never try to pull the stunt I nearly got taken down on with a wedding cake last saturday. I was planning on stacking and chilling the cake super early the morning of delivery day, thinking that I would have a good 5 hours in the reach in before I had to deliver. well....one thing turned into another and i didn't get the cake done 'super early' and it only had a shy 2 hours to chill up after being stacked.

I thought I was going to be okay: I used the SPS, i would drive slow with the AC blasted, put flowers on at the venue. Then I saw it: the last mile to the ranch where the wedding and reception were held was a very bumpy, rutted, and rocky dirt road. With 20% grades into and out of dry washes. And this was after a drive of 40 minutes from the kitchen. I considered walking it in, but I know that being in the sun that long would kill it, so I drove so slow a person walking would pass us.

And then I saw it: the bottom half of the middle tier had a three inch crack through the buttercream, an 1/8th of an inch wide at the biggest gap. I know that the SPS saved my butt on this one. With no pressure from the top tier, the crack stayed where it was and that side of the cake didn't collapse at fault. Thanks to my 'crash kit' I was able to put it back together by filling in the crack with a bit of buttercream, then tapping it with a corn starched finger, finishing it off with a viva towel to smooth it. I could tell it was there, and the bride was very understanding considering the condition of the road.

It is the southwest wedding cake in my pics if you are interested in seeing the cake that almost wasn't!

5 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 6

double post. sorry. where'd the delete option go?

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 6

That cake is great! I especially love the printed border.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 6

Bonus points for the save! and that's one gorgeous cake.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 6

Great save! Gorgeous cake too! And best of all, a lesson learned without a major disaster. icon_smile.gif

Beautiful Job!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 10:45pm
post #6 of 6

You know I always love a good SPS story. icon_smile.gif

Great save. The cake is fab!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%