Getting Nice Filling Look

Decorating By mystsparkle Updated 27 Mar 2012 , 3:52pm by mystsparkle

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 5

How much filling do you put in between your layers? I thought I was putting enough, but when the cake is cut..you hardly see it. I like the photos I see of cakes that the layer of filling inside is really there... Its like an inch of cake, 1/2 inch maybe of filling then inch of cake...it looks so nice. Any idea what i'm doing wrong? Ganache/Buttercream is what i've used as fillings so far.

4 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 5

I put a good layer of filling in my cake, since I usually do two layers of cake and one layer of filling. I don't torte my layers because I don't have an Agbay. One of these days!

So what I do is take very stiff buttercream and put it in a bag with a coupler. Go around the cake with the dam and then fill. And I fill alllll the way to the top of the dam. The filling is even with the top of my dam, if that makes sense. I do the same if I use a meringue buttercream, only after I pipe the dam I put it in the fridge to harden before filling.

I generally use stiff fillings because they stay in place better. Then I refrigerate so everything is nice and firm.

mystsparkle Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 5

ok...so a 2 inch cake...then filling...then 2 inch cake.

i was torting...but if i torte and put that much filling in...would it be too much?

i was not putting in as much as you....so that was defenity my first problem!

thanks.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 5

A problem with some fillings is that the cake on either side absorbs them. It still tastes really yummy, but it's not your best visual. But this shouldn't happen with ganache and buttercream. Annie's idea of filling up to the level of your dam is right on the mark. You can apply that to torted cakes by making a half-inch dam between layers if you'd like to. I actually make the buttercream (I call it my HD buttercream!) thick enough to be modeled by hand, like fondant. I roll a one-inch snake and place it around the top edge of my layer, then fill it with whatever I'm using to fill. Nothing gets out of that sucker!

mystsparkle Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 5

okay sounds great! thank you both very much..I have two cakes to fill tomorrow and wanted to try to get the look i"m looking for!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%