Smbc + White Chocolate Madness

Decorating By vgcea Updated 24 Mar 2012 , 10:22am by vgcea

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 6:36am
post #1 of 3

Since I need answers I figured I would make this a thread.

I figured this night was going too well... I'm making a 2 tier cake for an event scheduled for this evening. I just made a perfect batch of SMBC, seriously, I bypassed the whole "soupy" stage and went to smooth in like 2 minutes. Anyways, I figured I would add some white chocolate to a small portion of the icing to make my dams for a bit more structure.

I measured and melted 2 oz Nestle choc chips (that's all I've got now and I only needed TWO ounces), allowed it to cool completely, and then added 6 oz SMBC. Um, WHY in the world did this stupid chocolate go completely nuts and seize like a *breathe*

So now I'm staring at my perfectly silky SMBC impregnated with chunks of madness.

Thankfully I didn't add the chocolate to the entire batch or I would be having a seizure myself LOL. SO, what did I do wrong, and how do I fix this? Besides informing my friends, "The buttercream is chunky by design, chocolate chips. Get it? Chips?"

How do you add chocolate to SMBC (or SMBC to chocolate) without the chocolate seizing? Is the problem the type of chocolate I used? Thanks.

2 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 8:51am
post #2 of 3

The chips are designed to hold their shape. In future it would be best to use block chocolate (eating not cooking) or couveture. To save what you have you could try gently heating the SMBC. Either over a double boiler whilst mixing continuously with an electric hand mixer or whisk. Or put it in the microwave for 5-10 second blasts and stir (be careful with the microwave as it can melt it completely).

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 10:22am
post #3 of 3

Thank you LisaPeps. I went ahead and used the mixture as the filling for my white chocolate mudcake. Hopefully this never happens again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%