Carrot Cake With Buttercream?

Decorating By tinarina1 Updated 24 Mar 2012 , 2:19am by pmarks0

tinarina1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinarina1 Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 9

Offered to make my daughter's wedding cake. Was hoping to do some buttercream icing (with buttercream flowers) but she wants a carrot cake and I'm not sure buttercream goes ok with a carrot cake. I think the cream cheese frosting is a little too rich. What do you think please? Have never attemped anything like this before but I love the look of a perfectly smooth buttercream icing. Not sure mine will be like that though!

Thanks for your help.

8 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 9

Carrot cake is often made with cream cheese icing and they go great together. But you could use butter cream also if that is what you are comfortable with. With the right recipe (and temp/humidity) you can do pretty much anything with cream cheese icing that you can do with buttercream. My avatar pic is a carrot cake with cream cheese icing I made for a friends wedding.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 9

I just made a three tiered wedding carrot cake. The bride didn't want cream cheese (and I was concerned about the refrigeration issue) so I used a swiss meringue butter cream flavoured with orange (it's actually Rose Levy's recipe for mousseline from her Cake Bible). I added a few ounces of white chocolate liqueur and orange essence. The result was wonderful. The frosting complemented the carrot cake perfectly.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 11:42pm
post #4 of 9

Oops, I guess I don't have an avatar pic anymore. Sorry.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 12:29am
post #5 of 9

I think buttercream goes very nicely with carrot cake. The idea of making it with orange flavoring sounds just divine! This stands to reason, since my favorite carrot cake recipe is the citrus carrot cake in the recipe section here.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 12:43am
post #6 of 9

I always use a white chocolate cream cheese buttercream that is a variation of Indydebi's recipe. It tastes great, isn't really cream cheesy and crusts.

kimma1299 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimma1299 Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 1:24am
post #7 of 9

I would love to have the recipe of white chocolate cream cheese buttercream recipe that was talked about in the previous post. Please and thank you.
Only if you feel comfortable giving it out that is.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 1:56am
post #8 of 9

There is a decorators cream cheese icing on this site,, and on designmeacake.com, that a lot of decorators use for wedding cakes on carrot cakes. I have used it before on an italilan cream wedding cake. The guest came back for more!!! hth

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 2:19am
post #9 of 9

I can't claim credit for the recipe. It was developed by Mamawrobin and she posted the recipe in this thread.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=685989&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=30

It should be half way down that page.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%