White Chocolate Nest

Decorating By jennbrownrigg Updated 22 Mar 2012 , 5:07pm by Jenise

jennbrownrigg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennbrownrigg Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 11:59am
post #1 of 6

I have been asked to make a white chocolate nest for the top of a cake and I can't figure out for the life of me how to do it.

It's not melted chocolate squeezed around a bowl but looks like white chocolate pasta or something. I tried making modeling chocolate and it just crumbles. I've done one in fondant but it just isn't as nice. Any help would be appreciated.

You can see a picture of the nest at www.eatmywedding.com

Unfortunately it won't let me save and upload it.

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 6

It looks like a lot of really narrow strips loosly gathered up and wound around. It's pretty neat actually (it's in a post titled "Feathering her nest baby shower"). I think you could do that with gumpaste, if the modeling chocolate isn't working out for you. A stiff gumpaste like Nick Lodge's recipe would work, maybe build it up in several layers.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 6

That is cool. Truthfully I have never worked with modeling chocolate before, but from my understanding you can do with it what you do with fondant. I know people cover cakes with it. Maybe you need to find a recipe that is more flexible? Or maybe you can mix some of your modeling chocolate with a little bit of fondant to give it more flexibility?

Initially I thought to run it through an extruder, but those pieces are flat, almost like fettuccine pasta. Is there a pasta cutter for fettuccine? I would try that, or the extruder idea.

Annie

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 6

I think that is just white chocolate. When I wrapped cakes in white chocolate, I put it on acetate and then wrap. So, do you think it would work to put the white chocolate on a sheet and then cut it into strips when it is set? Maybe with some paramount crystals so it isn't so brittle? It was really cute! I hope someone has tried making one. I would love to read how it was done!

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 6

I would make Modeling Chocolate and I believe the proportions for making it with White Chocolate are slightly different (I'll look for this for you later today). Then extrude it using a small or medium hole. I have the red-handled extruder gumpaste tool from a cake supply store, but you can also purchase a less expensive one from Michaels that's about $14. Let it drop and swirl around as you extrude it so you don't have to touch it with your hands. As the Modeling Chocolate dries it will hold it's shape.

Jenise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenise Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 5:07pm
post #6 of 6

That looks like white chocolate that has been sorta shaved and then swirled around. I know that in the wood caring section at the hardware store you can find a tool that would cut it like that or depending on your potato peeler, use one end and carve/shave the strips. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%