How Do I Fix This?

Decorating By annakat444 Updated 22 Mar 2012 , 5:51am by carmijok

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 4:36am
post #1 of 4

Tonight I made a cake to practice the upside-down method of icing cakes to get the nice, sharp edge at the top. It worked great, except a few places had pits, or holes in the icing. Not sure why? How do I fix it so that it's perfectly smooth without holes? I hope this makes sense, I tried attaching a picture but Cake Central is telling me the picture is too big, and I have no idea how to fix it!

3 replies
SRumzis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRumzis Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 4:48am
post #2 of 4

This happens to me sometimes. I use a crusting icing and when it's firm I use buttercream to patch the holes and then use the scraper to smooth. Works great for me! Just make sure to be careful and use a very light amount of pressure,obviously, so you don't break the crust.

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 4:51am
post #3 of 4

Ah, okay. Wait, what do you mean you use a crusting icing and then a buttercream to patch? My buttercream icing is a crusting icing...can I just use the same icing to patch?

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 5:51am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by annakat444

Ah, okay. Wait, what do you mean you use a crusting icing and then a buttercream to patch? My buttercream icing is a crusting icing...can I just use the same icing to patch?

That's what she said. Wait until the frosting is crusted then patch with your buttercream and go over it with a blade to smooth it.

( I personally would put the cake in the fridge to harden the frosting before patching so you could really smooth it.) thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%