A Few Questions About Fillings

Baking By klamb17 Updated 20 Mar 2012 , 10:44pm by Goreti

klamb17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klamb17 Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 2

I have a few questions and hope someone could help me. I have been making cakes to use under MMF. I have only used buttercream icing between the layers and over the cake before the fondant. I REALLY want to start using tasty fillings other than buttercream but I am scared that it will not hold up between the layers. What is a good base for fillings? I would like a thick creamy maybe whipped filling that I can add fruit, crumbled cookies, etc too. Should I cut my cake in layers to make them thinner and use more filling? Plus it has to hold the fondant. I love buttercream but I want something different. One more thing...Is cheesecake or a filling like cheesecake good to use? I have had pieces of cakes from restaurants and the filling is sooo thick and very creamy, but sturdy...maybe this is cheesecake? lol sorry I can't remember. I know one is Olive Garden, and it's a chocolate cake. That cake has a very nice creamy filling in between the cake layers...it was sooo good. That's the kind I want to make. I'm new at this too, so forgive me for not being specific lol. I am just getting tired of buttercream filling.

Thanks

1 reply
Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 2

There are many options when it comes to fillings. If you go in the recipe section here, there are many for you try. A few things to remember is not to overfill and to place a stiff dam around so that it does not bulge. Do not go all the way to the edge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%