Lets Begin.......

Decorating By Kirsty2010 Updated 19 Mar 2012 , 10:09pm by cakemama2010

Kirsty2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kirsty2010 Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 9

Hey everyone,
Hope all those mums out there had a lovely Mothers Day!!!

I am new to cake decorating and there is so much I can do I was wondering where everyone thinks I ought to begin.
I would like for you all to share with my what you started with???
The cakes and decoration on here are amazing!!!

Many thanks icon_razz.gif

8 replies
bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 9

Hi Kristy,
I took the wilton classes. each class comes with a kit and all the basics you need to start cake decorating. I have since upgraded to fancy and expensive wants but the kit has all my needs that i still use. hth

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 9

Hey Kristy;

Welcome to the decorating world, it is very addicting and lots of fun. I totally agree with previous poster. (Bakencake) Start with the basics, take a few Wilton Classes. You will get the tools to start and learn the tricks of the trade. You will meet people and have fun while you learn.

Have Fun, Happy Decorating

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 9

Hello and welcome!
I also started with the basic Wilton classes at my local craft store. Since then I've relied on the internet (including this site) to gather ideas, tricks, techniques, recipes etc. I took the classes 6 years ago but consider myself "self-taught" at this point .. but the classes were a great starting point! I took the classes to learn a new school and to get me out of the house ... and now I'm the Go To cake person for my family and friends. icon_smile.gif

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 9

I also started with the Wilton classes. Everything I've learned from that piont on has been self-taught through the internet...This site, of course has been soo...informative. Reading forums, watching tutorials, etc...and just alot of experimenting!!!

RebeccaBloomwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebeccaBloomwood Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 6:37am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena4016

I also started with the Wilton classes. Everything I've learned from that piont on has been self-taught through the internet...This site, of course has been soo...informative. Reading forums, watching tutorials, etc...and just alot of experimenting!!!

I am 100% the same icon_biggrin.gif

and may I just say that there are so many kind people on this site icon_smile.gif who would gladly give you advice and share tips, and would offer a kind word when you feel down and have had a bad day in the baking world. icon_smile.gif

Kirsty2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kirsty2010 Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you all so much for your advice, I will take some beginner classes and go from there.
There so amazing decorated cakes with some fantastic ideas!! I love coming on here and looking at everyone's pictures they have uploaded.

Thanks once again icon_smile.gif

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 9:38pm
post #8 of 9

I started with no knowledge. Did a little blog reading and my 2nd cake was a ruffle cake design with SMBC. Since then I just read on here a lot and do a lot of research, watch youtube videos and practice!

cakemama2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama2010 Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 10:09pm
post #9 of 9

I have never taken a class, although I wish I had. EVERYTHING I have learned has come from this site and all the wonderful decorators that contribute their knowledge. Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%