shelbycompany Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 1:42pm
post #1 of

Hello. I have been thinking about becoming legal for quite some time now. Well....I think I'm ready. My husband works in a gelato cafe which serves a full blown lunch menu. The owners are willing to let me rent their kitchen on their off hours. I know that to advertise myself and business name that I need to get a business license. Since I would be like a sub contractor or something for them, Do I need anything in addition to my business license like liability insurance or anything or can I just use theirs. They are saying that I can use theirs because I will be using their kitchen but I just want to make sure I am doing this correctly. Any input and advice is greatly appreciated. Also, I am in South Carolina if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

3 replies
jgifford Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 2:11pm
post #2 of

Unless you have an agreement with the cafe' owners to bake strictly for them, I can't imagine that they would cover you under their insurance. You definitely need to have your own.

leah_s Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 2:20pm
post #3 of

And worst case scenario - if someone does get sick from something you made, the cafe owners would likely back away and say "sue her, not us!"

scp1127 Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 5:47am
post #4 of

This is something to take up with the insurance company and they are probably not going to add liability with no extra money.

In most areas, you can't just use a kitchen. You have to have your own HD license, food safety certification, business license and sales tax license. And your own insurance policy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%