Can I Flavor Simple Syrup???

Baking By LoriMc Updated 16 Mar 2012 , 4:51am by scp1127

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 5

I'm not happy with the way my almond cake turned out. To make a long story short, I got interrupted while I was making the cake and I suspect I didn't put enough almond extract in.

I've never done a simply syrup, but I was thinking maybe I could try that to add a little flavor? Can I add almond extract to it before I put it on the cake?

Anyone know off the top of their head what the recipe is?

4 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 5

Equal amounts of sugar and water. Bring to a boil to dissolve sugar. Let cool.

Yes, by all means, add some almond extract to it.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 12:19am
post #3 of 5

Simple syrup = 1 part sugar, 1 part water. In a medium saucepan combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil, stirring gently, until sugar has dissolved. Allow to cool.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 12:41am
post #4 of 5

With a white cake (bland in my opinion) I usually use simple syrup with almond, vanilla, and butter flavor! I've also added liqueurs to like Amaretto or Kahlua. Mmmmmm.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 4:51am
post #5 of 5

Simple syrup for a cake is usually boiled to 220 degrees. If you don't take it to a confection point, you are pouring water on your cake.

Take it to 220 degrees, let it cool, add your extract to taste. You can brush one to two times on each cut surface on the layers.

The simple syrup that just dissolves the sugar is usually used in cocktails where the liquid consistency is an asset.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%