Chocolate Cake = Fail!

Baking By Sandyb2409 Updated 18 Mar 2012 , 7:10am by Marianna46

Sandyb2409 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandyb2409 Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 10:12am
post #1 of 8

I made 3 chocolate cakes last night and when I went to take them out of the pans they all fell apart and crumbled. I don't know what I did wrong but I think I need a new chocolate recipe that doesn't crumble. Does anyone have any tips or maybe a really good chocolate cake recipe. I need 2 of the cakes for tomorrow night which is really bad cause I need to decorate them tonight icon_sad.gif it was a long night and tonight even longer

7 replies
MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 10:35am
post #2 of 8

I use the Hershey's chocolate cake recipe. Really ggod.

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 11:51am
post #3 of 8

I also use the hersey recipe and love the outcome but I have had issues with it sticking to my pan. I grease and flour but it still happens. Im not sure if it is because of how liquidy the batter is. I think im going to put parchment paper in the bottom next time and see if that causes less headaches.

Sandyb2409 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandyb2409 Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 8

I'm gonna try that hershey cake.. is it the perfectly chocolate chocolate cake? Is it a moist crumbly cake or more dense?
I used a duncan hines cake last night and it just fell apart.

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 8

I find that it is slightly dense and moist. Not cumbly. I make my own pan grease and never have a problem with sticking.

SRumzis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRumzis Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 4:20am
post #6 of 8

Chocolate Wasc recipe on here works great for me. I use bake easy spray on my pans then I line the bottom with parchment paper. Hth

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 5:44am
post #7 of 8

On the Hershey's, use parchment. Also adjust the leaveners to 1 tsp each. This will stabilize the recipe. I use sour cream instead of buttermilk, but that's a preference. It does thicken the batter.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 7:10am
post #8 of 8

I'm definitely a fan of the chocolate WASC, too. Sometimes I ubstitute some of the additional flour for the same amount of cocoa, and that works well, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%