Design Idea Delimma - Honest Opinions Greatly Needed.

Decorating By spuds_mom121301 Updated 14 Mar 2012 , 12:32am by joyandcake

spuds_mom121301 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spuds_mom121301 Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 4:29am
post #1 of 2

I am making my nieces 13th birthday cake this weekend. I have searched pictures for 2 weeks now and the cake I will attempt is going to be 3 tiered with black/neon rainbow colors and stars theme. The middle tier or separator, whichever is the technical term; is going to be a black ball that I had originally wanted to cover with small neon stars, the base board will be decorated to match, top and bottom tiers will be square, and I want lots of stars, curly ribbons, feathers, and her name and age all popping out of the cake, instead of on the sides of the tiers. I have already decided the top and bottom tiers will be covered in rainbow colored fondant. I want the top tier to have black zebra stripes added on top of the colored fondant but I can't decide what to add to the bottom. I think zebra stripes on both tiers might make it look bland so I thought about cutting out large black stars and laying them over the colored fondant.

Questions - Would there be too many stars if I did this? Or would the variations in colors and size make it all flow? Would only 1 tier of zebra stripes look out of place? Would both tiers in zebra look alright? Any other ideas of designs I could cut out and put on top of the rainbow colored fondant bottom tier, that will tie the entire cake together?

BLACK STARS

ZEBRA STRIPES

OTHER

Thanks in advance for any opinions, I know it's hard to tap into someone else s mental images but I have been stressing over this for the past 3 days and just need someone to tell me what will look best. Hopefully I will be posting pics of this cake by Saturday afternoon. icon_wink.gif

1 reply
joyandcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyandcake Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 12:32am
post #2 of 2

Have you ever checked out PinkBox Cakes? They seem to specialize in cakes that sound just like what you are describing. Maybe you want to look at their gallery to get some ideas about putting all of those components together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%