Serious Help Needed For Yellow Cake!!!

Baking By Karema Updated 14 Mar 2012 , 5:24pm by CalhounsCakery

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 7

I bake from scratch and I have no problem making any other typed of cake but yellow. I tried four different recipes and methods and they came out horrible. The first recipe overflowed some and then when I took it out of the oven the center collapased. It had this horrible smell almost like Ammonia on the bottom. It tasted weird and I threw it away. This is the recipe

1 1/2 c of sugar
2 1/4 cup ap flour
3 1/3 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 c of milk
1/2 c of oil
2 tsp vanilla extract.
I combined everything and baked and it came out horrible.

The second time around

it was 1 1/2 c sugar
2 1/4 c flour
3 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 pk pudding
3 eggs
1 1/4 milk
3 TB oil
2 tsp vanilla

This had a weird texture. I did not like and in the garbage it went

The third time
2 c sugar
1/2 c butter
1/2 c oil
2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
5 eggs seperated
1 c buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract

I creamed the butter and sugar. Added oil slowly and then added egg yolks one at a time. Then I alternately added dry with butter milk and vanilla and then I whipped egg whites and folded it in. They baked ok but overflowed. I tested them and the toothpick came out clean. When I took them out they collapsed and caved it in the center and tasted ok.I couldn't even use them bc it was a huge whole in the center.

The fourth time I did
1 cup of cake flour
1 1/2 cup of flour
2 c sugar
1 1/4 cup oil
1 c buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs

It cake out ok. It was very heavy and tasted great but tasted like pound cake.

HELP I've read almost every thread about this and everyone seems to have the same problem. I like the texture of boxed cake mix and flavor so I wanted something like that. I want it to be fluffy and taste great and help would be appreciated.

6 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 7

Try FromScratchSF's recipe from her blog, I was just reading it because someone posted it on another thread. I haven't tried it personally, but she has (obviously!) and there are lots of comments from other people too on the blog below the recipe. Good luck!
http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/white-cake-part-3-with-recipe/

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 7

I use:

200 gm cake flour
200 gm sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
168 gm buttermilk
30 gm vegetable oil
76 gm unsalted butter
6 gm pure vanilla extract
2 whole large eggs (100 gm) {have used 4 large egg yolks instead when I wanted it to be extra yellow.}

Mix dry ingredients, butter, oil, and 3/4 of buttermilk on low to moisten, then on medium for 1.5 minutes.

Mix eggs and vanilla with remaining buttermilk. Add in 2 portions to batter in mixer, mix until blended. Distribute between 2 6 inch diameter cake pans prepped with pan grease. Bake at 350 F for 30 min or until tests done.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 6:03am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karema

I bake from scratch and I have no problem making any other typed of cake but yellow. I tried four different recipes and methods and they came out horrible. The first recipe overflowed some and then when I took it out of the oven the center collapased. It had this horrible smell almost like Ammonia on the bottom. It tasted weird and I threw it away. This is the recipe

1 1/2 c of sugar
2 1/4 cup ap flour
3 1/3 tsp baking soda This is an insanely high amount of baking soda considering there's not much acidity going on already e.g. buttermilk/sour cream. Are you sure the recipe did not call for baking powder instead?
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 c of milk
1/2 c of oil
2 tsp vanilla extract.

The second time around

it was 1 1/2 c sugar
2 1/4 c flour
3 1/2 tsp baking soda ditto
1/2 tsp salt
1 pk pudding
3 eggs
1 1/4 milk
3 TB oil
2 tsp vanilla

The third time
2 c sugar
1/2 c butter
1/2 c oil
2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
5 eggs seperated
1 c buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract

I creamed the butter and sugar. Added oil slowly and then added egg yolks one at a time. Then I alternately added dry with butter milk and vanilla and then I whipped egg whites and folded it in. They baked ok but overflowed. I tested them and the toothpick came out clean. When I took them out they collapsed and caved it in the center and tasted ok.I couldn't even use them bc it was a huge whole in the center.

The fourth time I did
1 cup of cake flour
1 1/2 cup of flour
2 c sugar
1 1/4 cup oil
1 c buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs

HELP I've read almost every thread about this and everyone seems to have the same problem. I like the texture of boxed cake mix and flavor so I wanted something like that. I want it to be fluffy and taste great and help would be appreciated.

Alery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alery Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 1:18pm
post #5 of 7

Try Sylvia Weinstocks Yellow cake :

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/FOOD/news/02/09/sylvia.weinstock/yellow.cake.html

It's the closest scratch recipe I have found to a box mix, and the best yellow cake I have baked by far. HTH

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 7

Since you're dealing with a bit of a challenge, I will save you some heart ache and further frustration by stating that: should Sylvia's recipe not work for you, you're not doing anything terribly wrong. Many have found it to be a finicky recipe, where it's either you love it or just don't care for it. Try it, you may be fortunate with it.

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 5:24pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karema

1 1/2 c of sugar
2 1/4 cup ap flour
3 1/3 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 c of milk
1/2 c of oil
2 tsp vanilla extract.

The second time around

it was 1 1/2 c sugar
2 1/4 c flour
3 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 pk pudding
3 eggs
1 1/4 milk
3 TB oil
2 tsp vanilla

The third time
2 c sugar
1/2 c butter
1/2 c oil
2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
5 eggs seperated
1 c buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract

The fourth time I did
1 cup of cake flour
1 1/2 cup of flour
2 c sugar
1 1/4 cup oil
1 c buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs

If you liked the taste of the fourth recipie, you can adjust the measurements of it. Try 1 cup butter instead of oil, and use about 2 tsp of baking powder instead of soda. Vanilaa to taste, and it should bake up light and fluffy. This is pretty close to the recipie I use, and it comes out great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%