Vanilla Bean Question

Decorating By Nyma Updated 8 Mar 2012 , 4:04pm by Nyma

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 7

I want to try a pastry cream recipe but it calls for vanilla bean and I don't even know where I would find it around here. Will it make a big difference if I just use vanilla extract? what would be the appropriate substitution? icon_confused.gif

Thanks a bunch for your help!! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 7

Most grocery stores have them in the baking isle. Health food stores carry them as well. You will usually fine them in a glass tube that has 2 or 3 vanilla beans in it.

If all else fails you can order them online from Amazon.com

Hope that helps.

kendra_83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendra_83 Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 7

A good quality vanilla extract would definitely work. Just make sure it says "Extract" and not "Imitation Vanilla" on the label. My favorite thing to use is Nielsen Massey Vanilla Bean Paste. You can find it on Amazon here http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HQE11O/?tag=cakecentral-20 or at Williams Sonoma. It's much less expensive than buying the whole vanilla pods and more convenient than scraping the seeds out. It also gives you those tiny black flecks so your customer will see the quality as well.

Nyma Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 7

Great Ideas, so... how much vanilla extract should I use?

eava Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eava Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 5:01am
post #5 of 7

Costco usually has them. Start with 1 1/2 tsp, then add more to your taste. I usually add extract when I use a bean but I like a strong vanilla flavor.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 12:11pm
post #6 of 7

Lots... to the amount question. Kidding. In pastry cream, vanilla is added after it has cooled. This gives you the opportunity to add to taste. Remember, beans and paste do not have alcohol, so they are sweeter and more subtle. Extract adds that bolder taste, so still, do what you want.

Nyma Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 4:04pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you!! It has been VERY helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%