Silicone Molds

Decorating By syarber Updated 9 Mar 2012 , 4:54pm by JenniferMI

syarber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
syarber Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 2:25am
post #1 of 5

Need advise on using silicone molds. I have never used them but my son wants a Lego cake for his birthday. Which would be better to use fondant, gumpaste, or mixture? Do I need to let them "set up" or dry a little in the mold? Or do you press it in and immediately remove it? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. TIA

4 replies
Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 3:33am
post #2 of 5

Syarber, silicone molds are wonderful. Depending on the particular mold, especially if it is deep, you will want to put it in the freezer for a few minutes. It should pop right out without a problem. As far as whether to use fondant, gumpaste, or a mixture, it depends on how you need to use it. Fondant will stay somewhat soft unless it is left to dry for several days. Even after drying several days it would still be fairly edible. A gumpaste/fondant mixture will hold it's shape well and dry pretty solid. It can be eaten but won't taste too good. I typically make 3-D figures from a 50/50 gumpaste fondant mixture. Using straight gumpaste will allow the object to dry hard. Although it is edible, it will taste terrible. HTH

syarber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
syarber Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much! icon_biggrin.gif

bandcbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bandcbakes Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 5:06am
post #4 of 5

I make all of my figures out of fondant mixed with tylose, I generally make the 2-5 days in advance. Most adults don't eat them but my granddaughter loves them, go figure!!! I also place my molds in the freezer for a few minutes and they pop right out. Good luck! Sharon

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 5

I love using melted chocolate in my molds whenever possible. It tastes good icon_smile.gif

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%