How Many Days In Advance Can I Make Fondant Decorations?

Decorating By Rachmendez Updated 7 Mar 2012 , 2:52pm by Rachmendez

Rachmendez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachmendez Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 5

I'm a newbie to cake decorating and there is sooooo much to learn! I'll be making a cake with a fondant decoration that will need to be hard so it can stand as a topper. I'm also making cupcakes with fondant toppers, however I need them to keep their shape but still be soft to eat. How many days in advance can I make these?

4 replies
VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 5

Some people make their pieces and store them for years, like flowers. For your hard piece. You'll want to use gumpaste and it dries harder and sturdier. To make sure it's completely dry, make it a couple of weeks in advance. At least a week if you're short on time. Anything less, it might not be completely dry and break. A good hint is also to make a couple of pieces just in case your first one breaks.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 5

You could always use modeling chocolate for your cupcakes.....it tastes great too!!!

Rachmendez Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBelle

Some people make their pieces and store them for years, like flowers. For your hard piece. You'll want to use gumpaste and it dries harder and sturdier. To make sure it's completely dry, make it a couple of weeks in advance. At least a week if you're short on time. Anything less, it might not be completely dry and break. A good hint is also to make a couple of pieces just in case your first one breaks.

Thank you for the tip! I'll definitely make extra pieces icon_smile.gif

Rachmendez Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason-Lisa

You could always use modeling chocolate for your cupcakes.....it tastes great too!!!

I've never worked with modeling chocolate, but I like your idea better than mine icon_smile.gif. I'm going to give it a try. Thank you!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%