To Stack Or Not To Stack

Decorating By Nutmeg84 Updated 4 Mar 2012 , 11:05pm by KoryAK

Nutmeg84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nutmeg84 Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 3

Hey! Its Nutmeg again with a simple yet complicated question! lol icon_confused.gif Ok, I have 6in,8in,10in,12in and 14in round cake pans all 3in deep. When I bake an 8in round cake I have to put all my badder in a separate bowl..mix it and devide it into the 8in round pan twice. So after the process, I have two 8inx3in cakes. Will this be ok to level and stack or should I make another 8in cake? In other words, have my one tier cake stacked with 3 levels instead of 2? Is their a certain height that each tier should be in order to make it look right? Im sorry If I have confussed you at all by trying to expain my perplexing problem lol icon_redface.gif Thank you so much and God Bless for your advice!!! icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 3

If each of your cake layers are 1 1/2 inches in height and you have two, after you tort, fill and ice the cakes the height will be fine. I guess you are aiming for a total finished cake height of 4 inches. So any where close to that is perfect. I only really worry about it when I do stacked cakes, for wedding or anniversary say. The tiers need to be even, I do 4 3/4" - 1" layers. But everyday cakes try for 3 1/2 to 4" inches total finished height.

It will be great. Don't stress so much about it. Tort the layers you have and lay them on top of each other. If you feel they need to be higher then bake another one. I've done that too.

But like I said anywhere from 3.5" - 4" finished is fine for most cakes.

Good Luck, Happy Baking and Don't Stress.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 3

4" is the standard height for tiered cakes, but the ultimate decision is up the the baker and what the design needs. Bake as many layers as you need to achieve your desired end result icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%