Culinary/pastry Arts School

Decorating By ejackson2382 Updated 2 Mar 2012 , 8:11pm by disastrophe

ejackson2382 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ejackson2382 Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice. I've loved reading posts on Cake Central and think that I've really found a passion for cake decorating. I want to leave my current career and go to pastry school.

Have any of you gotten degrees in pastry arts? I have been doing some research about the best programs. Platt College is near my house and seems to have a great program (http://www.studentadvisor.com/pages/platt-college-the-pathway-to-your-pastry-arts-career), but I'm not sure if it's the best for me.

Did any of you go to Platt College? Do you know of any other great culinary schools in the midwest?

Best,
Emily

2 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 3

My wife received a baking & pastry certificate at a culinary school...cake decorating was only about 20% of the curriculum, these types of programs are usually comprehensive and also cover breads, different types of pastries, plating, sometimes the business side, etc. They are more geared toward preparing you to work as a pastry chef at a restaurant or hotel, if you want to focus on only cake decorating they probably won't be as valuable for you.

disastrophe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disastrophe Posted 2 Mar 2012 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 3

Bonnie Gordon College in Toronto offers a 6 week designer cake course and it focuses on cake decorating only. This is less convenient than taking a course near you, because you need to find a place to stay for 6 weeks - the school does not have housing. I took this course, so if you have questions feel free to PM me.

http://www.bonniegordoncollege.com/w_designer_cakes_certificate.aspx?

The French Pastry School is also now offering a program L'art du Gateau that focuses on cake decorating and the French Culinary Institute has a Cake Techniques and Design program. Both are considerably longer and more expensive than Bonnie Gordon College's, but I assume they're more comprehensive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%