Chocolate Filling Vs. Using Chocolate Frosting

Baking By bakinhoney1980 Updated 3 Mar 2012 , 12:32am by Marianna46

bakinhoney1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinhoney1980 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 8

I have a special request for some kind of a chocolate filling in a vanilla wedding cake iced in BC and then covered with white fondant. I will need this to be able to withstand room temp for at least 2 days. My client only wants something chocolatey between the layers. Has anyone got a good chocolate filling recipe, or if any of you have used a chocolate frosting between the layers and iced with a different frosting, was the result still tasty?? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

I thought about a kind of chocolate mousse, but that needs to be refrigerated or else it will run. A fudge frosting in the middle is what I am leaning towards, but I want the taste to mesh well with the buttercream and not seem out of place too.

Thanks.

7 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 8

Since I generally use ganache under my fondant, I often fill my cakes with it, as well (this is the the kind of ganache that's two parts dark chocolate to one part heavy cream, by weight). It tastes delicious, is very easy to work with and I've left it out for several days with no problem. In fact, people like it so much that they often ask for it as a filling, even when the cake isn't covered with fondant. If you don't like that, you could try a chocolate buttercream.

bakinhoney1980 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks, I always thought that chocolate ganache was something poured over a cake for a very hard coating. I guess there are different kinds?

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 8

The amount of cream you put in the ganache will determine how hard it gets. Also refrigerating it makes it harder. You can make ganache, let it cool, then whip it like crazy in your stand mixer and it will make a chocolate mousse consistency. It's really yummy!

bakinhoney1980 Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 8

Do you happen to have a recipe?

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 8

I use Shirley corriher's recipe from bakewise. Here it is in a wp story.
http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/mar/25/love-that-luscious-ganache/

trebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trebakes Posted 1 Mar 2012 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 8

I made a caramel cake & caramel icing. I frosted the middle with fudge icing and it was very good. I just bought some Whoppers that I'm going to crush and add to my next chocolate filling. Make sure you pipe a dam to keep the filling from oozing out and mixing with the icing. HTH

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Mar 2012 , 12:32am
post #8 of 8

My computer doesn't want to connect to the link to Shirley Corriher's recipe, but here's mine (I think it's pretty standard): Weigh out two parts of chocolate and one part of heavy cream (say, two pound of chocolate and one pound of cream, for example). Grate or chop the chocolate and melt it in the microwave in 20-second bursts until it's soft. Heat the cream in a saucepan till it's bubbly, then pour it over the chocolate and mix them together until they blend thoroughly. The mixture will be runny. Let it set, covered, at room temperature overnight. The next day it will have the consistency of peanut butter and can be spread on a cake easily. I don't refrigerate mine, because it gets rock hard and then it softens unevenly when you take it out. Even with the cream it's all right at room temp for several days (and I live in the tropics, so you know that no matter where you live, it'll be fine). You're right - there is more than one kind of ganache. One is pourable and one, this one, is spreadable. If you want to make it out of milk or white chocolate, you should use a 3:1 ratio of chocolate to cream, by weight. I'm telling you, it couldn't be any easier. Even buttercream has more steps than this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%