Attaching Something Heavy To Side Of Cake

Decorating By persephone613 Updated 27 Feb 2012 , 10:36pm by Amberwaves

persephone613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
persephone613 Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a pirate cake for a 3rd birthday. I made a skull with separete bones out of gumpaste ahead of time so it is already rock hard and the skull is very heavy. It is about 4 inches high. I feel like piping gel will not hold this up on the side of the cake. What is the best medium to attach heavy things to sides of cakes? Royal icing? If so does anyone have a recipe for just a little bit of royal icing cause I never really work with it and I don't want to make a huge batch.
Thanks
Kris

2 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 3

I am assuming you covered the cake in fondant, royal is your best bet, I never measure I just crack an egg and add PS until it's stiff.

Depending on how heavy, it might fall off anyway, especially if it's being transported somewhere else. Did you add any support like a dowel into the skull to stick into the cake?

Last resort is to put the skill an as the last thing you do after it's in place on the cake table and glue as best you can with royal. Then leave it alone until it's cut icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck!

Amberwaves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amberwaves Posted 27 Feb 2012 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 3

I use melted chocolate to attach heavy things to fondant on a cake. It works really good because it hardens quickly and tastes good too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%