**recipe Substitution Question????**

Baking By JuSt_CaKiN Updated 26 Feb 2012 , 1:11am by JuSt_CaKiN

JuSt_CaKiN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuSt_CaKiN Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 10

I am a beginner cake decorator and I am trying for the first time ever to make a cake from scratch. I am attempting a red velvet cake icon_biggrin.gif so the recipe calls for baking soda. Can i substitute in baking powder instead?

9 replies
cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 10

Got this off the internet for you

Use of Baking Powder as Baking Soda
Some recipes call for baking soda, while others require baking powder. Either way, our ultimate goal is to prepare a tasty recipe with a pleasing texture. Since baking soda is basic in nature, it will create a bitter taste unless countered by the acidity of some other ingredient, like buttermilk. Whereas baking powder has both an acid and a base, hence it creates an overall neutral effect in terms of taste. Therefore, recipes that call for baking powder, require other neutral tasting ingredients, like milk. Baking soda is four times more stronger than baking powder hence one may have to use 2 - 3 times more baking powder than baking soda. Therefore, if a recipe calls for 1 tsp of baking soda, one should use 3 tsp of baking powder, and to prepare baking powder, one has to mix 2 tsp cream of tartar with 1 tsp baking soda.

kmstreepey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmstreepey Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 10

Sometimes baking soda is required to counter an acidic ingredient. Red velvet usually has buttermilk in it and the baking soda may be required for that. Otherwise, the acid will prevent your cake from setting properly. So, the answer is maybe, but it depends on what other ingredients are in the recipe.

Does your recipe call for both baking powder AND baking soda? If so, then this is a clue to you that the baking soda is required to counter an acidic ingredient.

JuSt_CaKiN Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 2:17am
post #4 of 10

This is what the recipe calls for. Ive never done a cake from scratch so i just want to make sure its done right. Im still pretty new to all of this home-made baking stuff icon_smile.gif lol

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for the pans
3 cups cake flour (sift before measuring)
3 tablespoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon red food coloring
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk

kmstreepey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmstreepey Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 2:36am
post #5 of 10

I would say you do need the baking soda because of the vinegar, buttermilk, and cocoa. Good luck and remember to have fun with the process! Scratch baking can be challenging when you are just getting started, but it is also very rewarding. Let us know how it turns out!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 3:47am
post #6 of 10

Baking powder = baking soda + an acid. Baking soda needs to react with an acid in the recipe to bubble and leaven. Baking powder already contains the acid and will bubble and leaven when added to any liquid. There is probably a conversion factor somewhere on the internet but they are not equally interchangeable. And it has NOTHING to do with flavor, it's the science.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 3:50am
post #7 of 10

http://www.kitchensavvy.com/journal/2005/01/baking_soda_vs_.html

Here you go. Looks like the answer is no.

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 2:08pm
post #8 of 10

if it helps, I sub Bicarbonate of Soda for baking soda. I use the same amount, maybe a little less. Works for me icon_smile.gif

JuSt_CaKiN Posted 23 Feb 2012 , 5:38pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks so so much 2 everyone 4 all the help!! icon_smile.gif thats one thing i love bout cake central...everyone is so helpful and friendly...thanks a bunches!! :

JuSt_CaKiN Posted 26 Feb 2012 , 1:11am
post #10 of 10

I wanna thank everyone again for all the help! icon_smile.gif So...i made this cake the exact way it says and i should've listened to some of the very few bad reviews on this recipe. This cake was a little dry. So instead of wasting the cake im gonna make some delicous red velvet cake bites! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%