Help! Marshmallow Buttercream?

Baking By CiNoRi Updated 22 Feb 2012 , 1:40pm by AnnieCahill

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 2:39am
post #1 of 9

Anyone know of a good Marshmallow Buttercream that is shelf-stable and that can be used under fondant? I am not looking for a SMBC or IMBC (aka i dont want hassle with the cooking>

I normally use Indydebi's BC recipe, so if you think I can modify that, it would be awesome!
I keep seeing a recipe online that is basically butter, marshmallow fluff, vanilla, and sugar. Do you think this could be modified to use high ratio shortening instead of the butter? Also using something like Lorann's flavored oils is out, I need this recipe for this week, and have not been able to get the marshmallow flavor locally or do I have time to order it.

Thanks!

8 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 21 Feb 2012 , 3:40am
post #2 of 9

I recently tried a marshmallow BC recipe...it was AMAZING!
It does use butter though...it might work w/ high ratio, or maybe a combination of both?

Scroll down to the question "What buttercream do you use?"

You'll see that it's the second one...
http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-commonly-asked-questions.html

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 1:37am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

I recently tried a marshmallow BC recipe...it was AMAZING!
It does use butter though...it might work w/ high ratio, or maybe a combination of both?

Scroll down to the question "What buttercream do you use?"

You'll see that it's the second one...
http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-commonly-asked-questions.html

Thanks, ya basically thats the one i keep seeing... i just dont know how much shortening to exchange for....and im really leary about using butter since this cake will need to sit out once decorated ;-(

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 2:12am
post #4 of 9

FlourPots -- I had printed that recipe off and have even bought a jar of the marshmallow. I haven't tried it yet. What is the consistency of the icing? Does it smooth nicely and would it hold up under fondant?

FlourPots Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 2:54am
post #5 of 9

Price...
The consistency is light and creamy, not as heavy as my regular shortening based bc.

Sorry, I have no idea how it smooths or if it would hold up under fondant.
I made half a recipe for tasting purposes basically...my intention was to use it for filling in the future, if I liked it (I prefer ganache under fondant).
I LOVED it!

I used Kraft Jet-Puffed marshmallow creme, by the way.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 3:09am
post #6 of 9

Thanks. I'm going to have to give it a try.

FlourPots Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 9

You're welcome icon_smile.gif

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

and im really leary about using butter since this cake will need to sit out once decorated ;-(

Frostings made with butter don't need to be refrigerated. We only keep butter in the fridge to keep it fresh longer (as in, weeks instead of days), and sugar also acts as a preservative.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 22 Feb 2012 , 1:40pm
post #9 of 9

Wait-do you realize that by doing IMBC and not adding the butter that is essentially a marshmallow? I wasn't sure if you knew that or not. It's pipeable and spreadable. It's not difficult to boil the sugar syrup and pour it into the meringue. Takes just a few minutes and it's cheaper than buying the commercial stuff in the jar, and best of all you don't have to mess with powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%