Need Help With Hot Pink/dark Pink Icing

Decorating By Alwayzmakincake Updated 11 Sep 2013 , 4:30pm by carmijok

Alwayzmakincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alwayzmakincake Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 10:48am
post #1 of 12

Hi there,

I am making a cake this weekend and I started to color the buttercream last night. Didn't even get to the fondant yet. Anyway, it's a dark pink, like hot pink color. I used almost a whole bottle of Wilton rose to try to get the color but then it had an aftertaste. Had to throw the batch away. I'm including a pic.

Can someone tell me how to get this color. Thank you!!

Michele
LL

11 replies
Alwayzmakincake Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 10:49am
post #2 of 12

The person that made the beautiful cake is Stacey from Truly Custom Cakery. Someone sent me this pic and asked me to make it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 12

How much icing were you coloring? I always say I have a hard time making light/soft pink with the Wilton Rose because it gets dark pretty fast.

One thing you can do, to cut back on the coloring, is remember your colors will darken as they set. So make the color lighter than you want it, and let it sit for an hour or two. If it hasn't darkened up to the shade you want add in a little more and let it sit for a while again.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 12

I was actually making this color fondant over the weekend. I don't know if this will work for you, but here's what I did. I started with Duff's pink since I had it on hand and it's really bright. I mixed it half and half with white modeling chocolate to tone it down a little, then used a very little violet color to get the deeper shade. HTH

mymyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mymyb Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 12

I stopped worrying about getting some of these bright colors (dark pink, red, orange, black, etc) the day I got myself powder colors. I mix it to the icing directly in my KA, does not change the texture or the taste.
When I use it in fondant, I usually mix it to a little gel color ( I love the americolor ones), so that it will dissolve better in my fondant. You then need to let it rest a little, because the pigments take a while to settle.
I now get any bright color I want without having my fondant get gooey and it costs me very little since I don´t need to use a whole bottle of color!

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 12

Duff sells an electric color set at Michaels. There's electric pink and purple in it. Perhaps try the pink and maybe add some purple? HTH

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Feb 2012 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 12

If you have Hobby Lobby or a cake decorating supply shop near you, go get some Americolor deep pink or neon pink. Either one will give you the color you're looking for, without using a whole bottle or giving your frosting a bad taste.

Alwayzmakincake Posted 16 Feb 2012 , 9:38am
post #8 of 12

Thank you for the advice. I will try those ideas. icon_biggrin.gif

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 1:35am
post #9 of 12

I have used Americolor Electric Pink, Wilton Rose, Americolor fuscia and a combination of all those with red, purple, etc and I can NEVER get hot pink. I used an all-butter american buttercream. I don't know how people can get hot pink with those colors.

amandacook4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandacook4 Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 3:27pm
post #10 of 12

I made this same color fondant and buttercream by using Wilton's "Rose" and "Violet".  It took a LOT of rose and just a pinch of violet but it turned out that pretty fushia/bright pink color.  I know this post is old but for those of you still looking for an answer, that's what worked for me! 

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 3:54pm
post #11 of 12

I get hot pink every time I use Americolor Electric Pink.   I would never use Wilton colors...they just aren't concentrated enough.    I also order my hot pink fondant...don't want to mess with trying to make it.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 4:30pm
post #12 of 12

I've found Americolor Electric Pink to be too yellow.  Americolor Fuschia is what I use to get hot pink.  Everyone is correct about letting it sit for a while to darken.  Be patient. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%