Can I Make Rolling Fondant Out Of 80/20 Fondant?

Decorating By leslie_garcia86 Updated 8 Feb 2012 , 6:49pm by BlakesCakes

leslie_garcia86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leslie_garcia86 Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 6

I went and bought the wrong kind of fondant and the store wouldnt take it back. I wanted to know if there was any way that I could add anything to it to make it into rolling fondant. Right now its really soft and sticky and strechy. Can someone please help me. I have so many cakes to do this weekend with fondant and if someone knows how to fix it I would greatly appreciate it!!! Thankyou!!!

5 replies
CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 6

I would try kneeding icing sugar into it. You can also try mixing it with a stiffer fondant to get the consistancy your looking for. That's all I've got. Anyone else?

leslie_garcia86 Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 6

Thankyou so much i will def try that out!!! xx

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 6

I mix fondants all the time. Mostly, I use my homemade MFF. If I want it to be more firm - for a 3D cake, for example - I mix in about 1/4 Wilton's purchased fondant. The Wilton fondant doesn't taste so good, but it does firm things up. If my fondant is on the too-firm side, I mix in some that's softer.

Just knead it all together really well until the mix is nice and smooth. If the fondant is too rigid too knead easily at the beginning, I pop it all in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to soften it before I begin to knead.

If you work more powdered sugar into fondant to stiffen it, its a good idea to let it sit at least overnight before using. If you work in some shortening to soften it, you can go ahead and use it right away without sitting.

There's a LOT of difference from one type of purchased fondant to another... even within brands from color to color. After while you just get a feel for fondant in general and what you have to do to get the consistency you want for your particular project.

leslie_garcia86 Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 6

Thankyou!! I'm going to try and mix the two different kinds and get a feel out of it and if it gets too sticky ill just add some powdered sugar... i hope ( crossing fingers) xx

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 6

I honestly wouldn't waste the PS--sorry, it's just spending good money after bad.

80/20 fondant isn't ever for rolling. It's basically donut icing and it's designed to as a creme filling or glaze and it's made to hold moisture better.

Just chuck it.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%