Fondant Question?

Decorating By rachelh37122 Updated 8 Feb 2012 , 9:14pm by rachelh37122

rachelh37122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachelh37122 Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 12:33am
post #1 of 6

i'm making 2 6" fondant covered cakes. how far in advance can i cover my cakes with the fondant without the fondant getting too dry? should i keep the cakes at room temp after covering with the fondant or refridgerate? thanks!

5 replies
mcaballero2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaballero2 Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 5:03am
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelh37122

i'm making 2 6" fondant covered cakes. how far in advance can i cover my cakes with the fondant without the fondant getting too dry? should i keep the cakes at room temp after covering with the fondant or refridgerate? thanks!

I've had my fondant stay relatively soft for about 3 - 10 hours depending on the weather. The higher the humidity, the longer it takes to harden. This is controversial but some people lightly rub water over the fondant just enough to moisten it with a sponge, their hands, or paper towel but I have not tried that so I cannot attest to how well that works. I generally avoid placing fondant in the fridge due to the condensation that builds up when it's taken out. Hope this helps!

argylealice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
argylealice Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 6:40am
post #3 of 6

HI i cover my cakes up to two days before they are going to be cut and the fondant never dries too hard.i would never put fondant in the fridge and i have never heard of putting water on the fondant as in my experience it causes water marks and makes the surface of the fondant sticky.if anyone does put water onto there fondant i would be intrested to know how this works

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 6:53am
post #4 of 6

Unless you HAVE to put it in the refrigerator...like if you have a perishable filling, it's better to keep it out. But don't be afraid of the fridge! Fondant in the refrigerator is doable...yes, it can get sticky, but it eventually dries...just don't touch it.

To prepare it for the refrigerator, put your cake in a box and wrap that box with plastic wrap (or a garbage bag). When you're ready, let it come to room temp before unwrapping the box. That helps cut down on the condensation.

rachelh37122 Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 10:22am
post #5 of 6

thanks for the info everyone! i'll cover the cakes tomorrow night which will be exactly 2 days before the tasting. wish me luck!

rachelh37122 Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 6

thanks for the info everyone! i'll cover the cakes tomorrow night which will be exactly 2 days before the tasting. wish me luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%