Caterer Meeting - Commercial Kitchen Opporunity What To Ask?

Business By NicolleC Updated 2 Feb 2012 , 4:19am by NicolleC

NicolleC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NicolleC Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 2:21am
post #1 of 3

I rec'd a call from a caterer who heard about me from a good friend. I have been searching for commercial kitchen space to rent for quite a while. He wants to meet next week because he thinks he could help me out in return for my being a pastry chef for his events. I have no clue what I should expect/demand.

I do not want to be his employee. I'd rather wait to find what I am looking for first. Not sure how I should negotiate. Do I bake for him at cost in exchange for kitchen time? I am lost. Anyone ever done this? Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Nicolle

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 3:32am
post #2 of 3

without knowing exactly what he's expecting, I think your best bet would be to just listen to what he would like to have. For example, if he is a high volume caterer, you could end up doing nothing but pro-bono work for him with no time to do your own stuff. You don't have to give an answer then and there .... take some time to think it over and get back with him.

Some initial things to consider: Do you have your own storage space? Can you order supplies thru him to take advantage of high volume pricing? If not, how/when will your supplies be delivered and accepted? (i.e. will they accept a shipment or do you have to be there to sign off when your delivery truck arrives?) Access to the shop: Will you have your own key or are you dependent on someone from his staff being there? How will time be calendared? As a caterer, his prime time is going to be Thursday, Friday, & Sat .... most likely the same days you will be doing your high volume. is there space to work in there at the same time? If not, how will that be worked out? Can you have clients meet you there and do pickups there?

That's just the top of my head. I'm sure you'll get lots of very good advice from other on here! thumbs_up.gif

NicolleC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NicolleC Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 4:19am
post #3 of 3

Awesome questions. Thank you. That gets me started. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%