Royal Icing... Help

Decorating By huntlilbel Updated 1 Feb 2012 , 7:42pm by TexasSugar

huntlilbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huntlilbel Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 5

could I have re whipped my royal icing too much? trying to make some royal icing flowers. the flowers arent coming out right. the icing seems too soft and fluffy???

4 replies
dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 5

Since you say "re-whipped" I'm assuming you had it stored from a previous use? My Wilton instructor had told us that you could store it in the frig and just re-whip it when you need it again. I have to tell you that has never worked for me. I had the same problem you're having. I always end up having to make fresh. That's why, when I make a batch, I use up the whole amount making flowers to store for future use! What does anyone else have to say?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 5

If it has sat, it will get airy/spongy but usually a good stir with the spatula will be all it needs to cream back up.

Not sure about the rewhipping, since I just stir it.

If it is too soft you can add in a little powder sugar or cornstarch to thicken it up.

huntlilbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huntlilbel Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 4:03pm
post #4 of 5

i made it yesterday but the kids didnt "let me" get the flowers made icon_cry.gif
i did end up adding more powdered sugar and it is WAY better! I have to admit, that part of it is that it has been too long since I have actually made flowers... and embarassing enough, i realized I had the tip backwards icon_redface.gif duh... lol, anyway, they seem to be coming along pretty good. I assume I will start getting in the groove after the next 50 icon_biggrin.gif thanks all!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 5

Glad it started behaving for ya. Royal icing is the oddest thing they way it gets fluffy/airy when it sits. I don't store it in the decorating bags in between uses, because it changes texture and sometimes consistancy.

Try to have fun making them. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%