Monster Truck Cake

Decorating By AmberC2 Updated 1 Feb 2012 , 2:02pm by jennajane

AmberC2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberC2 Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 5

I am needing some help with doing a monster truck cake for this weekend.

I need to know what to use to build the base and do I nail a cake board to the top and then decorate the truck on it and how do I keep it from sliding off? Also the tires, how do I get them to stick on the sides. The pictures I have looked at have 2x4 pieces so I dont know how the tires will stick.

Any pointers that anyone can give me I would so appreciate it!!!!

4 replies
Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 12:42am
post #2 of 5

Do you have a picture of what you are trying to do? I have a monster truck in my gallery, maybe I can help you out, but I am not sure if we are thinking the same thing.

jennajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennajane Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 1:30am
post #3 of 5

Two weeks ago I made a dump truck cake which sounds similar to the monster truck you want to do. I made the structure out of dowel and hot glue. I don't have a picture but it was basically a square with 4 little legs. The "chassis" was 2 layers of cake covered in fondant on a cardboard board. I covered the structure in RI then dropped the cake on. I also used royal to hold the structure to the cake board. The wheels were also glued to the side with RI. I was really happy with how it turned out and it seemed really sturdy. The only problem I had was with the front, the royal didn't hold it on over night so I put 2 skewers in from the front.

AmberC2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberC2 Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 2:51am
post #4 of 5

The dowels held the weight of the cake? It looks really good!!!

jennajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennajane Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 5

I was worried at first, it was just hot glue and dowels. The dowels were probably almost 1/2" in diameter, I didn't really look when I picked them out. I made sure to build the square and have the dowels underneath like legs. The cake was heavy too, in the back of the truck was a 7" x 7" x 4" chocolate cake, and obviously a lot of fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%