How Do I Delete Background With Photoshop

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 30 Jan 2012 , 9:56pm by shanter

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 6

I am starting to use photoshop since Picnik is closing in April...I want to be able to delete the background of some cake pictures and replace it with jsut black.

Anyone familiar with how to do this??

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 6

There are lots of tutorials out there, depending on which version of Photoshop you have.

Here's one for cs5: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/29811/remove-complex-backgrounds-from-images-in-photoshop/
and this one is good for images with small details, like if you had a cake with wires coming out of it.
http://www.inspiks.com/new-techniques-for-cutting-out-hair-in-photoshop-cs5/

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 6

That's just it Texas..I am only using the free version from their website...I am trying to just navigate..There is alot to learn...Uuugghhhh....I am not advanced at all....icon_sad.gif

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 5:49am
post #4 of 6

I have the full version of Photoshop, so I'm not sure about the free version. Do you have an eraser tool? When you right click on the eraser tool does it give you the option of the background eraser tool? Try that (click in the background). If that works, then make sure either the foreground or background color is black. Use the magic wand tool to select the background, then Edit, Fill, choose the foreground or background, whichever is black.

Another way to do it is to use the magic wand tool. Click in the background to select it. If it selects too little or too much, adjust the tolerance. If the background is in more than one piece, select one area, hold down the Shift key and select the other areas. Then Edit, Fill, choose the black one.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 6

I also have the full version of Photoshop, but honestly, I never use it since I think is NOT user friendly so, I did too used Picnik
But thank you all for the good info provided. I will have to Photoshop now that Picnik is closing icon_sad.gif

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 6

Photoshop Elements isn't as expensive as full Photoshop and does most of the stuff most people use it for. Full Photoshop has a gazillion things in it that many people will never want to use. That's why they came up with Elements.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%