A Silly Question...

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 25 Jan 2012 , 7:25pm by CiNoRi

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 6

This is silly thing to bring up but it's 1 of those words of wisdom that I never really asked why... when I first started I just ran with it. I was always told to use crusting buttercream under fondant ( versus non crusting buttercream) , do I really have to? Why or why not? What would be your opinion?

5 replies
QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 6

I have never heard that before, but I will say this, I use exclusively SMBC. And that stuff will NEVER crust. When you get it perfectly smooth, you get perfectly smooth fondant.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 6

I've used SMBC, whipped buttercream and crusting buttercream under my fondant. No issues with any of them.

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 6

I've never heard of that either. I'm not sure what the advantage would be to have crusting buttercream under the fondant.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 6

I now use ganache under fondant but in the past I used a crusting buttercream just cos that's my recipe. I always had to spritz it with water anyway to get the fondant to stick, so I can't see why anyone would say you MUST use a crusting recipe!

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks guys... i figured as much... I just have had a good Crusting BC that I have used from the beginning... but have been re working it for non-crusting for my cupcakes. ...Figured why waste time make 2 recipes.... Thanks for confirming!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%