Is This A Good Idea And What To Charge (Cake Pops)...

Business By mommytocjnalexis Updated 26 Jan 2012 , 3:55pm by mommytocjnalexis

mommytocjnalexis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommytocjnalexis Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 3

There is a very well known baker in the area who happens to also be the mother-in-law to a friend but I don't really know her personally. Anyways, the friend raved over my cake truffles (cake balls, not allowed to call them balls without eliciting major laughter lol). She asked me to make some for the baker to sample which I gladly did (always love getting a second opinion). As a side note, I do use box mix but have tweaked and come up with my own version of buttercream frosting. The story goes that this baker has not been able to successfully make cake pops/balls and get the right consistency etc. So I just recently received a call from my friend who said that the mil wanted me to call her to give a quote on what it would take to make some cake pops using her cake and frosting. Initially I was totally against it because it wasn't my frosting etc. Then I felt like it could potentially be a good experience and I would love to get some insider tips on running a bakery etc. But now I'm not sure if it really is a good idea and what to charge since I would just be providing labor. Does any one have any thoughts?

On another note, I'm currently baking at home under cottage law but am looking into securing a place so that I can open a professional bakery. Unfortunately, the timing is not quite there yet as my husband is a full-time college student and stay at home dad so my day job pays the bills. So this could be a potentially good experience to add to my portfolio or hopefully not but it could potentially hurt me if she's selling my abilities out of her shop, kwim?! I'm at a loss (sorry for the long winded post).

2 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 10:58am
post #2 of 3

You would be an employee or independent contractor for her and she would need to pay you an hourly wage to make the pops for her. You can set the wage to be whatever you want it to be e.g. $15 - $20 an hour, min 4 hours.

As far as the product is concerned, I doubt she would advertise that you rolled the balls. If you currently sell them, you are creating an environment where you are competing against yourself on that level.

Personally while it sounds like a good situation on the surface, I wouldn't enter into it. You leave yourself open for her to complain that you "sabatoged" her truffles or something similar.

mommytocjnalexis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommytocjnalexis Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you for the advice, that's exactly what I needed to hear. I didn't want to come off petty not wanting to do it but I don't want to have to compete against myself either. I think I'll have to pass on the opportunity.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%