Crazy Brides Mom Now Getting Married. Don't Want Her Busines

Business By labmom Updated 25 Jan 2012 , 12:10am by Cakery2012

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 7:11am
post #1 of 15

Hey everyone.
I had a crazy bride last October. Said she didn't care about the cake including picking the cake out...but once date came close she chose a very expensive cake and fillings. She had a voucher for a wedding cake that was given to her by one of our friends as a gift. Once they found how much her cake was going to cost they wanted me to tell the bride she had to pay the difference. I did but she said that it wasn't her problem, but the gift giver and my problem. I told her she would have to take it up with her friend who gave her the voucher. It only said one 3 tier basic wedding cake. Her cake was 5 tiers with all chocolate ganache frosting fresh flowers and strawberries and other flavors. At lest a $200 -$300 difference.
This girls screamed and ranted and threw tantrums her mother told her to get as much free cake as she could (i heard her in the background). All in all things got negeotiated and she had her cake.
Now the mom called me for a small cake for 60 people in april.

She has said she wants all strawberry and custard. says she loved her daughters cake but keeps bringing up this bakery she used to buy cakes from and how much she loved there fillings and on and on ....

Out of curiosity I called the bakery and got there prices. Not only for a wedding cake but for a sheet cake that she was interested in at first. (I don't do sheet cakes especialy for weddings). This bakery and I are on the same price level... but there layers are not near as thick and you need to pick up your own cake... no delivery.

I am trying to figure out how to tell her that they are still doing cakes and prices are good and Please go to them!!!
I just don't want to deal with this mom and daughter.
They went after the party center after her daughters wedding saying that they didn't have enough cake left over and that they didn't cut it right.. well I have dealt with this hall for about 20 yrs and they are awsome and willing to work with anyone. I guess people took almost full layers of the cake home. Very obnoxious guests regarding food and the cake. For that hall to say these people were a problem .. thats something.
How can I suggest to them to check out the italian bakery. I was going to tell her I just got booked (and I did take orders for the the weeks after her date)... not like I am making much on a cake for 60 people...
I would appreciate any suggestions on this...

14 replies
fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 7:48am
post #2 of 15

Just tell her you don't want to do it. Don't knowingly walk into a nightmare.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 11:29am
post #3 of 15

a) tell her you are not available for the date, she doesnt have to know what you will be doing icon_smile.gif

b) add a PITA fee to the quote, this way you will be more expensive than the bakery. If she still wants to use you at least you will be compensated for any drama icon_smile.gif

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 15

You're booked solid

Save yourself the aggravation you do NOT need to subject youself to all that yet again, you do not owe them anything

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 15

I agree, don't even bother to make up an excuse, just say that you're not available. No reason necessary.

Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 15

Agree with the others. You know how they acted previously, who`s to say this time they`ll be any better. RUN don`t walk away from this.

stephdover4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephdover4 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 2:49pm
post #7 of 15

I've been in sales a LONG LONG time! You can usually spot this kind of customer right off, I've learned that all the money they can offer is not worth the stress and the potential negative advertising they will do for you. They do NOT get better the second time around! Generally speaking, the people that she could refer will have similar attitudes and you don't want their business either so, just say no, don't tell a fib, and just simply decline the business.

tiaracakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiaracakes Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 2:57pm
post #8 of 15

Not available.

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 15

I agree, you are simply not available for that date. Just not worth the trouble..especially for 60 servings.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 4:33pm
post #10 of 15

You're not available. You've dealt with the apple-the tree ain't gonna be any better.

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 5:44pm
post #11 of 15

Thank you everyone. Your advise is what I was thinking anyway. I am not good at that word NO> I always feel guilty and then have it bite me in the butt.

The lady called me about two weeks ago but we didn't talk until about 10 days ago. She doesn't know what she wants said she would think about it and get back to me. No money no deposit. I told her I had that date open at the time.

This time of year things start to get booked very quickly for the holidays and showers and other events.

I think will call her and tell her that I am no longer available and leave it at that. And maybe tell her I looked into others that would be able to make her cake, such as the bakery that she liked.. (as a service to her?)...
That way things will hopefully stay good. Not that I want the work from her but I would like her at least to leave in a good graces that she would maybe recomend me in the future. Not everyone could be like them.

does this sound good? What do you think?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 6:08pm
post #12 of 15

I would just let it go until she contacts you again. Then tell her you're not available.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 6:21pm
post #13 of 15

Let it go........ IF she calls you again, simply tell her you are booked .........you are not going to get a referral from her anyway.....

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 11:41pm
post #14 of 15

Another vote here for not calling her back. Leave the ball in her court, if she does ever call you, you are simply "not available," and don't do her any favors of referring her to another bakery. What if she were to actually tell them you REFERRED her?!?!? GASP!!! icon_surprised.gif

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 12:10am
post #15 of 15

Yep say Im very sorry Im simply not available and NOT make any recommediations . ITS not a lie I wouldnt be available for a freeloader like that again either . You dont need the stress.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%