Equipment For New Home Based Business

Business By Amylou Updated 25 Jan 2012 , 1:45am by cakegrandma

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 7

I am ready to turn in my plans to the HD and zoning, and the last thing I need are my equipment specs. I keep going back and forth on refrigeration and whether I need a range.

Most fillings I use are non-perishable, but I will use the fridge space for quick chilling to smooth cakes and for perishable supplies of course. I just keep thinking a freezerless fridge (about 17c.f.) would be enough, but then I hate to have to go to something bigger down the road. I'm getting an upright freezer regardless.

I am getting a commercial oven, so I won't need the oven on a range. I use a burner for making meringue BC mostly, ganache, and melting chocolate. I'm really considering just getting a single stand alone burner, because I don't find myself using more than one burner at a time.

Any advice or input? Thanks!!

6 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 7

If you can afford it and there's room, having a cooler with shelving is nice for sliding in your sheet trays. Once you are in production, you'll find that having more cooler space is very nice.

My first few years in business I only had deck ovens, no range necessary since my bakery had little need for cooking. A small hot plate was enough for my purposes. So it depends upon the kinds of products you'll make.

disastrophe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disastrophe Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 7

You should look into getting a standalone induction cooktop. At the school where I took some cake decorating classes, they had there for making jams and caramels and doing the buttercreams, and they are fast! They're also more energy efficient, compact, and most likely safer, because it doesn't have an exposed coil or flame. I rent kitchen space right now, but if I had my own kitchen, I would definitely get one!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 7

Since you are saying Home Based Business, are you meaning that you will be baking out of your home to sell the product? If so you should check to see if this is legal in your state, as far as I can see is that is now allowed in Ca. I'm sure you don't want to get fined for doing something illegal.
evelyn

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegrandma

Since you are saying Home Based Business, are you meaning that you will be baking out of your home to sell the product? If so you should check to see if this is legal in your state, as far as I can see is that is now allowed in Ca.

Home-based baking businesses are allowed anywhere (including CA) as long as your home kitchen is approved by the health dept -- which usually involves expensive upgrades -- and you are compliant with municipal zoning laws.

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegrandma

Since you are saying Home Based Business, are you meaning that you will be baking out of your home to sell the product? If so you should check to see if this is legal in your state, as far as I can see is that is now allowed in Ca. I'm sure you don't want to get fined for doing something illegal.
evelyn

I am aware of all the HD and zoning laws. I have been researching this and planning for over 2 years now. We live out in the country and have a large piece of property and I am following all of the laws. It IS possible for a "home-based" business in CA...but very few meet the stiff requirements. My kitchen will be on my property, but will not be in my home.

Any input on the question at hand now?

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 1:45am
post #7 of 7

"Any input on the question at hand now?"

That is why I was trying to see exactly what you were referring to and was not inferring that you were breaking the law. I was just trying to determine what you were talking about as you can have separate "kitchens" from the house in many places. I love the induction burner as it really gets hot and quickly. I would say a nice refrigerator/ cooler to store items in as well as a professional convection oven. Good luck with your venture.
evelyn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%