When You Know...you Really Know!

Business By sweetlayers Updated 23 Jan 2012 , 4:41am by Magda_MI

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 2:49am
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Been there. I came home one day last year, looked at my DH and said, "I don't want to do this any more." He answered with "Thank God."

He was tired of wedding cakes every weekend. I was tired. I was tired of being tired.

I hung up the apron and haven't looked back. And I don't miss it at all. I have four more wedding cakes to do that were already under contract and that's it.

However, I did open a food truck, but I work when I want to and doing festivals is fun. Well, it's work too, but it's fun. And right now, I'm recipe testing for a chef friend who's publishing a cookbook. That's been a blast!

Leah_S, I can't believe this! You were one of the main people I looked towards for business inspiration when I was so GIDDY about "my wedding cake business". You and Indydebi gave me so much advice and you didn't even know it. The funny part of it is that the advice you guys gave was so good that I had so much cake business that I couldn't handle it all! Ya'll definitely knew what you were talking about!

sweetlayers Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 2:53am
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

The experience of running the business was great though, it involved hands-on applications of concepts I learned from my MBA and also provided insights that help me in my day job and contracting work.

I agree wholeheartedly. The business skills I developed while running my business really help me with my new full time. Especially when it comes to being customer service oriented!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 3:01am
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarciaGM

I'd love to hear how God has worked in your life!

Ok, I'm sure my story will sound bizarre. And it's a journey that got me to cakes. I spent most of my life working round the clock, never time for a "real" life, but I made enough money to help my mother and my sister who was a single mom. My time was spent working, so I was content with little else in my life. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED working. Then one day I had a stupid accident at work and became permanently disabled. Sounds awful, doesn't it? But I knew immediately, in my heart and soul, there was a reason for it AND even crazier, that I would know the reason. Well, now I was home, recuperating the best I could and I meet the love of my life, and we marry. Go ahead a few years and I wanted to take the Wilton classes. A friend was going to take them with me, but at the last minute she had to take a course for her job. Quite shockingly, my husband offered to take the classes with me because he knew how much I wanted to take them. Turns out he not only loved it, he's very good at it. He finds his way to Cake Central and is sitting here reading the night that the concept for Icing Smiles was outlined. We contacted her immediately and said we wanted in. Today I am a state rep. for Icing Smiles and following a path I've been lead to, and I feel so lucky for the outcome of where my life is today. I have absolutely no doubt that God has lead me down this path.

sweetlayers Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 3:02am
post #34 of 36

[quote="MimiFix"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlayers

One day I saw a customer approaching the front door and thought to myself, "What the heck do you want?" That was my aha moment. It was time to move on.

This made me laugh out loud because I understand this feeling so well but for months have been ashamed of it. This statement is therapy for me. I don't want my family to ask me about cakes. When my phone rings, I get nervous about answering it because I know it's for cakes. It's crazy. I'm like Lord, please forgive me. I am so sorry. I do appreciate your blessings, but.... not this type.... not right now. icon_redface.gif

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 3:06am
post #35 of 36

Wow! I've been thinking about this all weekend! I only bake for charity and have often thought about opening up a little bakery - something like how Magnolia's started out. But then I would read all the experienced baker's posts about bridezillas or terrible customers. And quite honestly, while I know I am a good baker, I know I am not and never will be a great decorator. Donating to charities, various cupcakes, cookies and cakes, gives me the chance to do what I want when I want. And it opened my eyes to how really tiring and difficult this skill called "baking" can be. Standing on my feet all day and into the night - I've often wondered how all of you did that every week! I've even had some of my charities offer the use of their kitchens for free to me, but for now I am more comfortable doing things my way - and trying out new recipes etc. I just hope you all keep on posting because I have learned so much from you and I love calling my 89 year old aunt, who used to teach Home Economics long ago, and telling her all the new tricks and tips I've learned from this site!
PS Jason, Welcome to the OC! and when my gluten free friend visits from Simi Valley I hope I can still order a cake from you!

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 4:41am
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena4016

I've just been doing this as a hobby for a couple of years now and quite honestly I do not know how any one does this as a profession!! I get all excited designing the cake and thinking about it and then the reality sets in....Shopping, baking, cleaning up, making frosting, cleaning up, making decorations, cleaning up, icing the cake, cleaning up, putting the decorations on the cake, did I mention cleaning up, transporting it!! It is the most energy sucking, time consuming thing I have ever done. I'm a graphic designer by trade, so I love designing and I even love making some decorations...until the simplist thing takes me hours and I'm aking myself "what the hell am I doing?"

Serena, you've just described exactly how I feel about doing cakes. I've been doing it as a hobby for a dozen years or so, and now do 3-4 cakes per year, with an average of one wedding cake a year for friends. And that's plenty for me. I like designing the cake and planning for it, and I like the finished product (usually), but in between it's a lot of work, and things always take longer than you think they will. Especially all the cleaning up, which is definitely my least favorite part too. Not to mention the stress of driving with a cake in the car, and knowing that if you drop it, somebody's not going to have a wedding cake.

I love doing cakes once in a while, but I would hate doing them for a living.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%