Chocolate Cake Giving Me Fits!

Baking By macaroniNcheesecake Updated 22 Jan 2012 , 4:02am by SammieB

macaroniNcheesecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macaroniNcheesecake Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 11

Alright all you master cake bakers this girl needs some help icon_sad.gif I am trying to bake 1/2 recipe or just one layer of this cake. It falls every time ( 2x today). I think it is the leaveners. I used 1 tsp baking soda & 1/2 tsp baking powder & cut all other ingredents in half. Baked in a 9" round pan. I know there must be chemistry behind this mystery. Would someone be kind enough to help me out? I would be sincerely greatful!
2 c cake flour
2 c sugar
3/4 c coco power
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 c buttermilk
1/2 c oil
3 large eggs
1 tsp real vanilla
1 c good strong coffee

10 replies
Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 4:45am
post #2 of 11

Is your baking soda fresh? Pour some vinegar on a bit of it and see if it bubbles.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 4:59am
post #3 of 11

u have 2 full cups of liquid? that can't be right!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 5:04am
post #4 of 11

Agreed - WAY too much liquid. Looks like a very flawed recipe. Have you made it successfully before?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 5:23am
post #5 of 11

It is similar to the Hershey's cake. The cake flour seems too delicate. Also, many of us have adjusted the recipe by subbing sour cream for the milk and changing the leaveners to 1 tsp each. Without these changes, that cake can sink.

http://www.hersheys.com/pure-recipes/details.aspx?id=184&name=HERSHEY'S

Try this cake or try applying some of the adjustments and ingredients to your cake. Hope this helps.

macaroniNcheesecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macaroniNcheesecake Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 11

A Big thanks to all of you. Yes I have been baking this cake for a couple of years now with great success until I tried to half the recipe. I will certainly try the recommendations today and see how it goes. Its a beautiful day in Tennessee to be baking! ( its rainning ) !! icon_smile.gif

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 11

I recently made the Hershey's perfect chocolate cake for the first time. It called for a cup of buttermilk and a cup of coffee. The batter was as thin as water! I baked it anyway, b/c it had such good reviews. Well, it took forever to set up, then domed quite a bit, then sunk in the middle when it came out of the oven. Also, when I was torting it, it wanted to just crumble up and fall apart! I managed to save it and I have to admit the scraps tasted really good, but I'm afraid to make it again. I made it in a 10 inch pan.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 11

So, are you guys saying you Decrease the leavening? That seems backward to me. Also, I just checked the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate cake recipe and it calls for 1 cup milk, 1 cup boiling water, still 2 cups of liquid, just different from the one I used, which was Hershey's Special Dark or something. The recipe is almost identical, though.[/u]

jakky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jakky Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 5:44pm
post #9 of 11

Sinking chocolate cake always happened to me too. I read to decrease the sugar-and that is what worked for me. I'd decrease your recipe by 1/2 cup at least.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 12:31am
post #10 of 11

Makes no sense, when there are a billion great chocolate cake recipes out there that people mess with the Hershey's. Try this, it's 1000000% perfect:

http://www.marthastewart.com/282243/one-bowl-chocolate-cupcakes

Makes great cake and cupcakes.

You're welcome.

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 4:02am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by macaroniNcheesecake

A Big thanks to all of you. Yes I have been baking this cake for a couple of years now with great success until I tried to half the recipe. I will certainly try the recommendations today and see how it goes. Its a beautiful day in Tennessee to be baking! ( its rainning ) !! icon_smile.gif

Off topic, but I had to laugh a little b/c I'm in TN too. Last night I was going nuts trying to finish a baby shower cake, tornado warnings left and right, so much humidity and my icing and fondant just didn't want to cooperate! I prefer the lower humidity when I'm decorating, especially sugar work, so I was so bummed about the rain! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%