Calling Vegan Bakers

Baking By CalhounsCakery Updated 24 Jan 2012 , 2:49pm by disastrophe

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 8

I am trying to begin cooking vegan. I've found some really interesting looking recipes to try, but would love some insight from people with experience. And tips, links, or recipes you could share would be very helpful.

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 20 Jan 2012 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 8

We used the book linked below as the base for many of our vegan recipes:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1569242739/?tag=cakecentral-20

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 6:36am
post #3 of 8

I have developed a few vegan recipes and they are quite good. They can stand up to their non-vegan counterparts. I have found that even 5 star recipes on the web are awful. The only way I have found is to do it yourself.

The only sweets I enjoy are from a vegan baker. I'm a good baker but she bakes me under the table. She is outrageously expensive ($7.00 cupcake) but worth every penny, so it can be done. Cupcake Wars also proves that great vegan baking is attainable.

Jason, thanks for the book suggestion.

scp1127 Posted 21 Jan 2012 , 6:38am
post #4 of 8

Jason, I just looked at the link and that is the book I used along with some recipes from the web, to develop my recipes. I'll have to refer to that book in the future. Thanks, again.

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 2:45am
post #5 of 8

Thanks guys. I actually found some recipes online from that book and thought they looked very interesting. I see a purchase in my future.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 1:35am
post #6 of 8

I use recipes from that book too - I've only tried about a dozen recipes, but so far I loved them all (except the banana chocolate mousse).

scp1127 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 8:28am
post #7 of 8

It's the top Amazon pick. That's how I chose it.

Bonnie, would you send me a list of the ones you like?

Susan

disastrophe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disastrophe Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 2:49pm
post #8 of 8

Speaking of Cupcake Wars . . . . The D.C. vegan bakery Sticky Fingers is releasing a vegan cookbook in February. She has been on Cupcake Wars and won, so her cookbook might also be a good resource. It doesn't come out until February 16, but you can pre-order on amazon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%