How To Create Swirls In Fondant?

Decorating By MKC Updated 19 Jan 2012 , 7:45pm by MKC

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 6

A bride has asked for a cake with swirls on the fondant just like this one http://www.cakeamerica.com/images/image1/pink-swirls-cake-1536.jpg

Can someone tell me how it is made/what is the technique? I don't want to paint on the cake. There must be another way.

Thank you!
LL

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 6

Works best with a sheeter.

Roll out fondant. Lay on strips of pink. Roll again to "mash" the pink fondant into the white. Apply to cake.

Obviously you will have a *tremendous* amount of wasted fondant. Charge accordingly.

MKC Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you Leah. That's what I thought. I guess I will have to glue the pink with a little water to the white fondant. I will charge accordingly for sure !

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 6

If you glue the pink to the white, the pink is going to be raised. If you use water to attach it and then roll over it so that it's smooth, you'll end up with a sticky mess.

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 6

That looks like it was rolled onto the fondant before she applied to cake- the curves of the pink couldn't be done by applying the pink after she put the fondant on. I would practice rolling the pink in swirls beforehand- and I wouldn't use water either- if you lay the colored fondant over the white in swirls and roll it onto the dough- it should attach just fine with the pressure from your rolling pin. -Definitly practice beforehand though.

MKC Posted 19 Jan 2012 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you everyone. I will test it for sure!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%