Cake Tasting

Decorating By Bean123 Updated 17 Jan 2012 , 2:31pm by karateka

Bean123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bean123 Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 3

how do you small/home based businesses do cake tastings? I'm not really sure how to do a tasting without having to throw out lots of cake.

thanks

2 replies
ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 3

I allow for up to 3 cake flavors, and 3 fillings..bake mini cakes, either 4 or 6 in...and charge for it. They take home the left overs. They get the tasting applied to their order as a discount once their deposit is paid. They get one layer...the extra batter is either frozen, or baked and frozen until I get another order for that flavor. Many times the extra vanilla cakes will be used as smash cakes later icon_smile.gif HTH!!

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 3

I bake up an 8inch square, cut it into 16 pieces, and freeze them triple wrapped. When I get a tasting request, I ask if they want a Brides' Choice tasting or a free tasting. If free, I pull out 1 piece of each flavor I have for each guest, put it on a plate with 3 different fillings, and the icings I offer, so they can mix and match.

For a brides' choice, they pick the flavors, and I bake those in the same fashion. I charge them $25, non refundable.

If I don't have any cake around, I'll bake a vanilla, a chocolate, and one other flavor of my choice. I keep the leftovers of the choice tastings, so I often have several flavors in the freezer to pick from for the free tastings. I keep them frozen for about a month, then I'll let my kids have them. I don't waste much cake this way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%