Painting On Fondant

Decorating By jcrook Updated 14 Jan 2012 , 9:16pm by Marianna46

jcrook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcrook Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 11

What product should I use to paint fondant? Is gel paste sufficient? I don't mind a shiny surface for this application. I have brushes only.

10 replies
Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 11

I have found that the gel paste takes a VERY long time to dry...the best thing that I know of is to take powder (like a luster dust) and mix with small amount of vodka or lemon extract (they both evaporate quickly) and paint with that.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 11

interesting.... I've only painted on fondant with thinned gel pate mixed with vodka or airbrush colors, but never powder or dusts. I'll have to try that!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 11

I was just asking about this on another thread - one about how diluted black gel turns blue. Someone suggested that the OP use black powdered color and I was asking if you could use the powder to paint with. Glad to know you can. Now can somebody tell me who sells it? Is it something you can come by fairly easily?

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 11

the wilton powders are horrible they do not mix with liquid at all....i use luster dust that I get from my local cake shop- confectionary house - u can get them online at www.confectioneryhouse.com

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 11

I always use airbrush colors. Works great.

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks so much! I was wondering about airbrush colors. Do you use them straight from the bottle?
Molly

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 11

I've painted with lots of different things.

Powders mixed with vodka dry the fastest. The wilton petal dusts work fine for this.

Gel color mixed with vodka is the cheapest. It will also dry fairly quickly. If you can wait an hour or two, you're good to go.

Airbrush colors work fine, straight from the bottle. They take as long to dry as gel color/vodka does.

The white icing color can be mixed with gel colors and used for paint if you want an opaque look (think acrylic paints in a bottle) but not with vodka, it turns chunky then. It takes a long time to dry.

For black, americolor super black painted on undiluted works the best. Doesn't fade or turn colors, and dries in about an hour.

The luster dusts from the cake decorating shop are the most expensive way to make paint. I only use those if nothing else is going to give the look I want.

LisaBerczel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBerczel Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 2:25am
post #9 of 11

Colored cocoa butter paints beautifully...

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 6:18am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyHammond

Thanks so much! I was wondering about airbrush colors. Do you use them straight from the bottle?
Molly

Yep, no dilution necessary!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for all these wonderful tips, you guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%